Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Reason Microsoft applications stopped working on my laptop.

Customer Question

For some reason Microsoft applications stopped working on my laptop. I get a BAd image note saying they are either not designed to run on windows (ludicrous)O or it contains and error. I tried redownloading them, but this costs money. So i decided to ask you gus first how to fix this. Since i paid for microsoft when buying this laptop in 2012
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me please what version of Windows you are running, and which applications are failing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All the microsoft office applications are failing and I'm running Windows 10
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

What version of office are you using?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I'm looking for it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
microsoft office 2013
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

No problem. I presume you upgraded to Windows 2010 while office was installed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

There have been multiple issues reported to Microsoft about office not working with Windows 10. Did you install office from a CD?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, when I ordered the laptop online I requested it to have Office already installed
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Did you get any documentation that included the office activation key, or possibly a restore disc from the manufacturer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, just the laptop
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

What is the make and model please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
lenovo ideapad y580
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Okay, give me a minute please.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

First what I would like to have you do is go to this LINK and download and install this program. It will scan your system and give you a readout of all of your Microsoft activation keys. Record them or print them off and let me know when you are finished so we can proceed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
done
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Okay good. What I would like to have you do rather than trying to install all of the patches Microsoft has issued, is download and reinstall office. First go to this LINK and enter your activation key. That should offer you the option of installing office directly from Microsoft. It may detect you already have it installed. If that happens, you will need to uninstall it and try again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually, sorry, the scan didn't detect my microsoft office nor did the extra download the one it offered in case i didn't find the program I desired. So i don't have the keys
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Were you not able to extract the keys using Magic Jelly Bean?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no i wasn't
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Did the scan find any of your Microsoft keys?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it found the key to windows 10 and my virus protection plan
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Check to see if there is a Microsoft sticker with the office key attached to the bottom of your computer please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
WOW it is not
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Did you purchase the laptop new?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did. But this problem has only been occurring for about a year now. Before I updated my laptop this wasn't an issue.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

I understand. That has been the normal complaint of most that have upgraded to Windows 10. Do you have a Microsoft account?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i do
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Okay good. Go to this LINK and login. Since you have an active account, you should be able either download or reinstall office using just your active account information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
here I'm going to contact microsoft. My office 2013 purchase is showing on my account
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

As it should. That is how you can reinstall it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It brought up the same program is not supported message when i tried to reinstall
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Most likely due to you having office already installed. Does it give you the option to download office without installing it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, it's the same message that appears when I try to access office. It tells me this before the installation even truly begins, shutting the whole thing down.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Well you can either uninstall the current version or I can try to locate the version you can download and burn to a CD?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm in an area with little to no connecction. If you recieve this message and are still wiling to heko me that would be great. if not can you please inform me on how to get a refund or whether or not I will be charged because the wording on the website is payment will be extracted IF im satisfied. At this moment, I am not really
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

I am still working with you. It might take me a bit to find the download link for office, so please be patient.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me if you are using office professional?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Go to this LINK and click on the English link. That will start the download process.