Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

When I open my program, I am asked to open user profile.

Customer Question

When I open my program, I am asked to open user profile. When I do, I get the following message: "The user profile you have selected cannot be accessed. This could be because you do not have sufficient privileges to use it or because it is currently being accessed by another program." I have restarted the computer. I have gone into the program data file properties and checked to make sure the following boxes are checked as allowed in my user profile: "Read & Execute" "List Folder Contents" "Read" and "Special Permissions." How do I correct this issue?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, When did this start ? what is the name of your program ? and what windows OS you are using (7,8 or 10)?

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This issue started two days ago. The program is Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking. We use Windows 7 Professional.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.

Ok, Please Try to restore your windows 7 computer by following the steps below :

1-Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools program group.

2-Click on the System Restore program icon.

3-Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window.

4-Choose the restore point that you want to use. You should use the restore point with a date when you still don't have the problem you are facing now.

Let me know the results

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.

Has everything worked out please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I just logged back in and tried to open Dragon. Got the same message.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.
  1. Close Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
  2. Open Windows Explorer.
  3. Navigate to the folder where the Dragon user profiles are stored : C:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking12\ (12 is the version of the program)
  4. Right-click on the "Users" folder and choose “Properties”.
  5. Select the “Security” tab.
  6. Highlight “Users” from the “Group or user names:” box.
  7. Ensure “Read & Execute”, “List folder contents”, and “Read” are checked.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
those options are all checked. Tried to open Dragon and get the same message.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.

Would you like me to set up a remote session (NO extra charge), which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this issue?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, thanks.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 7 months ago.

Do you have Dragon Naturally Speaking Installation disc?

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to see that you have not had any luck so far in terms of fixing this problem. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other. I will be available for the rest of today.

Thank you,
***** *****