Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer

I have been trying to upgrade a friend's Acer Aspire 5253

Customer Question

I have been trying to upgrade a friend's Acer Aspire 5253 BZ-815 model P5WE6. I upgraded the HD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and the memory from 4 to 8 GB. Previously my friend upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 on the free offer from MS. However, now his system performs worse than it did before. I tried a different joy. I tried different memory joy. I upgraded the BIOS from v1.10 to 1.18. May have gotten a small improvement from that. Part of the problem is the SSD is SATA3 and the motherboard is SATA2. But there still should have been some improvement, not loss of performance.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Samsung? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB and Windows 10.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've used the diagnostic tool.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not that I can think of right off.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD, and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

The Harddrive has nothing to do with it, upgrading to windows 10 is often a disaster, quite literally. The only real way to install windows 10 is from a fresh install. You are seeing issues of a corrupt OS.....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thanks. A fresh install is on my list of things to try. I will give that a try.
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

A fresh install of windows 10 works just fine, that will fix your problems.

Please take the time to rate my service in the upper right hand corner as i do this for a living. Any follow ups regarding the same situation is free.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't want remote assistance for now. Maybe later. I will try refreshing windows. Once I've done that and see how it does I'll come back and rate your help and proceed from there.
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

you need to format before installing windows.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried to answer you earlier today, but I don't think my message got through. I didn't have the authority to do a refresh. My friend was out of the country and I couldn't reach him. The problem with the refresh is I don't know if he has all the software he's loaded on his machine in the past so it could be reloaded after the refresh. In the interim I tried doing a repair. That did not make any noticeable difference. He's giving some thought now to buying a newer computer. He apparently bought this one in 2011 and it has some inherent limitations like the motherboard being SATA2 instead of SATA3. What are your thoughts about repair versus refresh?
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Um, doing a windows 10 "repair" on a damaged OS like that is 100% worthless. Fresh install, no question in my mind.