Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

We have an HP8000 elite (sff). I recently installed a power

Customer Question

We have an HP8000 elite (sff). I recently installed a power supply. When I turn the machine on, there are a series of 4 1-second beeps. This cycles 5 times with the red blinking power light. I replaced the power supply; same result. I replaced the mother board; same result. I tried both power supply and mother board with no components attached; same result. What should I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD, and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

Its because its not an HP powersupply, believe it or not, they want that extra $, thus it will not run with other PSU's.

here is a link proving thus, scroll down until you get to the beeps section

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Tim, we have replaced the power supply with HP power supply and it is still not working. The beeps consists.
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Damn, sorry to hear that. I'd have to venture a guess it may be the motherboard then.......I'd try and pull the cmos battery out of the motherboard for like 1 minute and replace, it looks like a watch battery. Do this with the HP powersupply in, maybe it will recognize it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can you physically connect to a machine that has no BIOS startup info? (we have pulled the cmos battery)
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

I can't connect......should be obvious. That's my canned hello response to everyone, so they know who i am, and what i can offer, it clearly does not count for everyone.... But it saves much time in letting folks know their options, yours is different.... thus we will need another approach. I can set up a call for 7.00 USD if you like to discuss this.