Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an LG flip phone with Internet capability that is

Customer Question

I have an LG flip phone with Internet capability that is for use with a 2G network.
The Tracfone company is sending me a replacement phone to use with the
newly updated 4G network in my area. But, now my current LG flip phone has no service, and therefore I cannot send my photos and one recording in the usual manner to my computer or to another phone to save them. Tracfone tells me that I will just lose my photos and recording. Is there a program or some way that I can transfer my photos/the recording to my computer or to another phone so that I do not lose this data before I transfer my minutes to Tracfone's
replacement phone? I do not want to lose my data. Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there

What is the model of the phone?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is an LG420G
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, you can connect to the computer and copy the photos this way

Go to Connectivity, USB Connection and choose Mass Storage

Then connect the phone to the computer, and you will see it as a drive, just like a usb memory stick.

You can then copy the photos this way

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not any kind of computer expert. Where do I go to get to Connectivity on my laptop?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

its on the phone you do this, Settings, Connectivity, then USB, then you do the steps I gave on computer

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I went to Settings on my phone. There is not a Connectivity selection, but there is a phone settings and a Connection.
On Connection there is only a Bluetooth Connection. There is no USB listed on either the phone settings or on
Connection, although my phone can be connected to my computer via the USB Port.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

if the model you gave is correct, then it should be there

Check page 14 of the manual here please

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/44/4341/434012-lg/420g.pdf?de594bd0f867742d6eaed8c279148da5

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wow! I have no idea how to do this. I do not have a Connectivity listing, just Connection. Then it goes to
only Bluetooth and asks if I want to turn Bluetooth on. Do I want to do that? If you connect remotely to my
computer, will you also be able to connect to my phone if it is connected via the USB port? I don't know what
to do since I cannot find any listing for USB connection on my phone.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

I will connect to your computer and then I can access the phone when we connect it.

Do you wish to do this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Do I go to View Offer first and accept it?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

accept it please

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Are you still working with me on this Kathleen?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Richard, I am sorry, but when I clicked to accept allowing you to remotely connect to my computer, the site required that I confirm my payment information/credit card. I did confirm, but then when I tried to get back to you, the site would not take me to you. Instead two other names of computer experts appeared so that I could ask them my question. I did not want to begin this conversation from the start again, and I agreed to the remote connection only to you. I am sorry that we could not continue this discussion and fix my problem. I fear that I will just lose all of my photos and my one recording, all of which are from a trip. I am devastated. Thanks for trying to help me. The JustAnswer site is very difficult to work with, it is not your fault.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, but can you try now to accept it please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Richard, I do not dare accept another $39 for your secure remote assistance. JustAnswer has already charged my credit card $39 for the remote access that never happened this morning. Soon I will be spending a fortune on the website for nothing at all.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

the $39 was for the question, not the remote assistance, but thats ok, we continue here

Connect the phone to the computer. Do you see then windows detect the phone?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I am apparently not making myself clear to anyone at JustAnswer. They have charged me $39 for the remote assistance that never took place, and they are charging me another $36 for your answer to my question, which has not been answered and I think we will not get anywhere without a remote assistance, which I will not do and pay another $39. The problem is with the JustAnswer website. Nothing happens whtn I connect my phone to the computer, and the selections that you say should be on my phone are not there. This question/answer session is finished, then, because I cannot spend another $39 on a remote assistance that may not go through, like the last time. What a frustrating experience.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

The selections are there, you see this in the manual I provided to you, can you carefully review it please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

My cell phone is an LG 420G. No matter what you write, the selections that you suggest that I make are not on any menu on my phone. Perhaps you are looking at a manual for another phone. I may be that I need a program installed on my computer or some other thing added to my phone, but, as it now is, my phone's menu does not have the selections you mention available at all. I am sorry that we cannot resolve this problem. If I could trust Just Answer to allow you remote assistance to my computer and phone, perhaps my question could be answered. But I tried doing that, and the Just Answer website did not allow me to get that extra help from you, even though it charged me the $39 for the remote assistance that I never received. You do not seem to have the answer to my inquiry, but going forward is impossible due to the website errors of Just Answer.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Which version of windows are you running on your computer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I have Windows 8. I have read the LG 420G manual several times. I assume that I have a memory card already installed in my phone, but maybe I need the LG PC program it is talking about. I see that his

program (that purports to transfer data from the computer to the phone, but not the other way around) is available for download, but I would not know which of the sites is legitimate so that I do not also download a virus of some kind. I will need to activate the replacement phone this week, thereby losing all access to my current LG 420G and my photos and recording data. I suspect that there is not enough time to save my photos and data. It does not matter if the Bluetooth capability is turned on our not. Absolutely nothing happens when I connect my phone to my computer.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

connect your phone to the computer via USB

Then press the windows key + E

In the window that opens click on This PC.

Tell me what you see listed under devices and drives please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

There are listed only my computer and the printer. There seems to be no solution to my problem, and I must transfer my LG420G to the replacement phone now. Since what you have told me about my phone is not correct, I cannot give you a good rating. I regret that the Just Answer website did not allow me to conduct a secure remote assistance with you, but now it is too late. What would be better for you, then: a poor rating or no rating? I will do that, and, then, this will be my final message to you.