Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I was hacked, so I changed my password & security questions.

Customer Question

I was hacked, so I changed my password & security questions. My desktop seems to be OK - although I am often interrupted during emailing with a request to enter my password, AND the color wheel shows up regularly, making everything slow.
My problem is 'logging out' from my account on iPhone and iPad. I deleted the old account, and have rebooted them both, but they continue to refuse to accept the new account, saying password ***** not agree. I've tried in Yahoo, and on the Cloud. I receive emails on my desktop saying someone is trying to log on my iWhatever, if it's me, OK. But nothing happens on either of the wireless devices.
HELP, please
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Could you let me know who's your email provider, e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, etc.?

Please reply back using the box below; thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
at&t through Yahoo
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

OK; please do NOT accept (but close out) any remote assistance offer if it shows up on this page anytime; it's sent out by our site, and not by me. I'll reply back to you below now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

OK; as a first step, please open up www.yahoomail.com on your Safari browser on the iPhone, and then sign in to your ATT Yahoo account there. Once signed in, try adding your account through Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Does this make any difference to your issue at all?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Agreed. I am waiting for your reply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Okay, please follow the steps I enlisted in my above reply now. Basically, sign in to your Yahoo account through the Safari browser on the iPhone first, and then try adding the account one more time as you did earlier. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yahoo Mail, or Yahoo - login?
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Either will do; basically, we are trying to get Yahoo to authenticate the iPhone first (by logging in using the browser), and then setting up the email account with the new password ***** more time. Do let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

If this does not make any difference to your issue, please let me know and I'll follow up with further troubleshooting steps. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yahoomail not responding - because I'm not signed in? - sorry, 'server stopped responding' this happens sometimes. That was my cellphone. Now trying on ipad, seems to be working. Says the same thing reentering on devices always says: 'email and password *****'t match'
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Seems to be stuck in some older password ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, I see. Now, please open up the following link on your computer (or any device):

https://login.yahoo.com/account

Sign in your account, when prompted, and then click "Account Security" at the left side.

There, please let me know if the following options are set to ON/OFF:

1. Two-step Verification

2. Allow apps that use less secure sign-in

Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Took me to the same place. Figure it doesn't like my sign-in:***@******.***. now trying***@******.*** OK - they wanted my recovery phone #. But they don't like, perhaps the name I used? The ATT a/c is in my husband's name, but I, 'Larsen,' do all the computer work. I am the name on the desktop.
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, were you able to get past that recovery info screen itself? At that screen, if you check the bottom, you should a small "Skip for now" link listed. Please let me know what screen you are on now; thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Now I suddenly got an ATT login page, logged in with my***@******.***, seemed to like it, showed me a/c info, and my name is ***** ***** Then tried to add a/c in settings - same response 'email and password *****'t match'
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Yes, on that account info page, do you see an "Account Security" option listed on the left?

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

I have included a screenshot for you now, as follows:

https://www.ymail.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/yahoo-account-security.jpg

Do you see this option on your account info page, please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The page is titled Profile, then a bar sayiing Edit name then Login information below that and options to change ID, password, security questions. Do not see 'Account Security' except to change it
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, okay. Just to clarify, did you open up this account info page on your computer or on the iPhone/iPad?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
opened on iPad, it is not ymail, but att.com
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Your answers appear in the box asking me to switch to something. It is confusing, and I didn't see them at first.
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

I see, all right. Now, on the iPad, open up att.yahoo.com on your Safari browser. Next, click on "Mail" at the top-right of the page; if it does not automatically take you to your emails, sign in to your ATT account first.

Done that, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add account, and then then try adding the account using both the "Yahoo" option and the "Other" option, in turn. Does this make any difference to the issue?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well, the log-in is the same "email & password *****'t match' Tried changing password, but it doesn't like the old password *****
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, seems to be a server issue at Yahoo's end. Please allow me a moment.

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Also, did you add the account as "Yahoo" or "Other" this time?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Should I link my accounts? Seems like a lot of trouble, but I'm getting nowhere, & maybe it would help.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
But what accounts should I link? I have only the one.
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

We shouldn't have to do that; before we proceed, could you let me know if you added the account as "Yahoo" or "Other" this time?

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Providing you with the complete steps in a minute; please stand by.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
39;other' produces the same response in different font.
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

OK. Please do this carefully on the iPad first:

Tap Settings.

Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Tap your Yahoo account, then delete it.

Tap Add Account.

Tap Other.

Tap Add Mail Account.

Complete the Name, Address (email address), Password ***** Description fields.

Click Next. (If the same error comes up, ignore it and proceed to the next step.)

Ensure POP is selected (at the top)

Enter the following incoming mail server information:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL

Server: pop.att.yahoo.com

Port: 995

Requires SSL: Yes

Username is ***** ***** email address

Password ***** ***** same password ***** to access webmail

Enter the following outgoing mail server information:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires SSL

Server: smtp.att.yahoo.com

Port: 465

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires authentication: Yes

Username is ***** ***** email address

Tap Next.

Please let me know if you are able to add the account this way. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, but I'm stuck at Host name. I've somehow got the wrong keyboard;, my space bar has disappeared - I can't make it stay in English (US)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can I enter what you direct without spaces?
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Yes, you don't need spaces for anything at all; the "Host Name" field should have the following info:

For Incoming Mail Server: pop.att.yahoo.com

For Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.att.yahoo.com

Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm down to the port. where do I find that?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My options seem to be 'cancel' or 'save'
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

If you scroll down, you should see a "Server Port" section listed. Type in the following numbers there:

For Incoming Mail Server: 995

For Outgoing Mail Server: 465

Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Let me try and look up a couple of screenshots for you now; please stand by.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
that does not happen. nothing below outgoing mail server area
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

I see, looks like you are using a different OS version, hence that option does not show up now. Please tap Save; what shows up next?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
user name or password ***** for 'pop,att,yahoo.com
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

OK, this definitely seems like a server issue at ATT Yahoo's end. By the way, have you tested using the "Yahoo Mail" app on the iPad/iPad, instead of setting up your account this way? You can open up the App Store, and then search for and install the "Yahoo Mail" app - you will be able to access your emails using this app as well.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm sure my daughter can help me find and install that app. Thank you for your patience. But I do not consider this problem solved. I need to sign off now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 12 months ago.

Let me open up your question to our other experts now, who can assist you further with this issue; you will be automatically notified by email once another expert picks this up. Thank you.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 12 months ago.

yahoo sometimes has problems with att accounts changing passwords. It seems to change the att password ***** not the yahoo password ***** it should be the same.

Your best bet is to speak with ATT ( since you can't get ahold of yahoo) and have them fix it for you. If they tell you its a yahoo problem, tell them no its their problem as they are the ones that you are paying.