Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My sister gave me her TomTom since she has an IPAD. She had

Customer Question

My sister gave me her TomTom since she has an IPAD. She had not used the Tom Tom for months. We have tried charging it twice, one for an hour , and once for 3 hours and 100 miles driving, but it will not start. Is there anything else we can do?
Susan Hern ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks or your question, my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, What is the model of your TomTom device? If plugged into your vehicle lead does the green led come on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
TOMTOM XXL No light comes on
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 3 months ago.

First try a reset : Please press and hold the power button for 40 seconds.

After 40 seconds release the power button and wait for the device to restart.

If it doesn't restart itself, wait 30 seconds and then turn it on .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not in the car now. After driving for 100 miles and no sign of a screen I saw in the manual that I should press start button for 30 seconds, and I did., and it didn't start at all.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 3 months ago.

Ok, please Charge the TomTom device for 2 hours then Disconnect it from the charger, Turn it and pull up the battery status screen, it should work again. If the device still won't turn I would suggest you to get a new battery or try different charger / usb cable and different power outlets.

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did charge it for 3hours yesterday, and it didn't work, so am doubtful this will work but will give it a try tomorrow. Will let Just Answer know. Thanks for trying. Actually TOMTOM should have its own technical assistance, but that might mean hiring people.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 3 months ago.

it is probably a battery problem, try to replace the battery then let me know the results.

Hope it works out

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since I have no idea where the battery is, I am going to Radio Shack this afternoon to see if they know how to find it. I was at a meeting all morning.Susan
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 3 months ago.

Hi Susuan, Thanks for your reply,

Ok, please let me know once you change the battery.