hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician since 2007

I have a Dell M3800 laptop and Dell Model D3000 docking

Customer Question

I have a Dell M3800 laptop and Dell Model D3000 docking station. I'm having trouble extending two displays (Dell E2414H) from the laptop via the docking station despite updating all of my drivers including the DisplayLink driver. I have confirmed that the monitors are functional by plugging them into the minidisplay port of the laptop. I have also confirmed that my keyboard and the USB ports on the docking station are functional. Only the display extensions are not working. As of one week ago I had both displays extended and working with the same docking station but since that time I have reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch which obviously messed things up.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hi Paul, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

If I understand correctly, this was working for you previously but has not worked since Windows 7 was reinstalled, is that correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Chis. Yes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry Chris. I've working on this problem for three hours...
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, at this point have you done anything to troubleshoot the issue beyond the information provided? Changed any settings, for instance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have played with the display settings but the two monitors are not showing up in the display dropdown within "change display settings". It should be showing two choices for a Dell E2414H.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hmm, okay. I guess it won't be that simple then.

Are the two monitors connected exactly as they were previously?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I never removed the cables from the docking station. However there is a possibility that the monitor end might be transposed, but I doubt that should make a difference.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, gotcha. Strange. If the connections are the same and you've checked the driver and you've gone into the Control Panel then you should be okay. I can imagine this is pretty frustrating.

Can you tell me how exactly they're connected? As in, what kind of interfaces (VGI, DVI, HDMI, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before I answer your question I have attached a screen shot of the device manager.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DVI direct for one monitor, DVI to HDMI adapter at the docking station for the other
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, thanks. I'm not seeing anything unusual there, aside from the fact that the second monitor is obviously not being detected.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, typically on monitors the proper input has to be selected. For instance, it can be set to analog or digital or the options may be more specific than that. Have you gone into the monitor properties to make sure that the proper input is selected?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just tried setting each monitor to "auto select" and will try changing the display settings.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

The monitor that's working you should have to worry about. But if the other one is set to an improper input it won't get picked up. So you may need manually switch it over.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No change. I've attached a screen shot of change display settings.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hmm, I see. Well man. . . Paul, I hate to say it but everything looks good to me and I can't imagine what the issue might be.

What I'm going to do at this point is opt out of the question and open it up to other experts so they can chime in here. You'll be notified when there's another response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I appreciate the support Chris. At least we were able to play with the monitor inputs.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 months ago.

Hello there let me give it a go.

​It looks like you're using the Windows control to add the second monitor.

I've found with Dells you need to over-ride the Windows controls by going to the resolution settings in the Control Panel and choosing "advanced settings'. Change the display mode there rather than in Windows. ie use the video cards control panel rather than Windows.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It turns out that the laptop is not really seeing the second monitor through the docking station. If I unplug the USB cable from the docking station the display settings do not change. Also, I am trying to extend two external monitors, not just one. I need some clarification on how to use the advanced settings the way you describe. Thank you.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 months ago.

Please try a new USB cable if it is not working. You need to go in to the advance settings of the video card itself such as the NVIDIA if you have that. There should be a NVIDIA control panel that has installed besides the Windows display settings such as you describe

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found an Intel driver control panel which has an option for multiple monitors but does not allow me to enable it. The Nvidia driver does not come with a utility that I am able to launch. ... Have not tried the USB cable yet but the fact that the laptop recognizes USB devices from the docking station appears to indicate that the USB component is working.

Hello there if it is Nvidia you should have an icon in the system tray for the Nvidia software that is installed along with the driver. If you right click this or select it from the Programs apps then you will have an option to see the Nvidia control panel

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had found the icon in the sys tray but when I click on it nothing happens. Wierd.

Please try right clicking or looking for the programme in the Programs app when you left click the bottom left corner icon.

​It's in there that you will be able to access the Nividia control panel (not the Windows control panel)