Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Lenovo desktop and can't find the external USB when

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo desktop and can't find the external USB when I plug it in. I tried to default the system settings to 'open with file explorer' but that isn't helping. I know it is connected because I hear the beep on the computer. Do I need to install drivers for the specific Seagate drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Could you please let me know the make and model of the external hard drive also let me know the operating system installed in the PC.Is it Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 or any other?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

Please answer my above questions so that i can help you better.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you get my response?
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

Yes i did and i had replied to you.If you haven't got it i will resend it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am using Windows 8 As for the device it is the Seagate expansion portable drive however I don't believe it is the exact device that is causing the issue. I am having trouble with two other devices of different brands. When I first connected the device I could see the files but now I can't When I plug the device in subsequent times. It might have something to do with the default option I chose the first time I plug the device In. I now don't know how to change that option even though I tried changing the system defaults to the option of files exploreR.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the details.so it is happening to any external hard drives you connect to this windows 8 PC am i correct?

Do you have another computer,if so have you tried connecting to that PC and checking it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I do not have another computer to try. I can say that of 5 devices, 2 work fine. For those 2 I selected 'Files Explorer' when the devices first connected with the computer.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

If the 2 devices are showing up then its not the settings because if they can show up in file explorer then rest will also do the same unless they are faulty.

May I remote access to your PC and check the issue you are facing directly. It’s secure and also you can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I better not do that. I'll have to find a local company to come look at it. Thanks for your time though. Have a nice day.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

One moment. I asked above as a option,we can try continuing in this chat page but it would have been better if i check it directly.Shall we continue in this chat page.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No, that's not necessary. But thanks for the offer. You tried and I appreciate that.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome,do you want me to open this to other experts so that they can try to help you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No thanks. I'm leaving my home for a few hours.

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

OK i will request customer service to close this question.

Sincerely,