Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have two hard drives, SSBs, that were infected and are

Customer Question

I have two hard drives, SSBs, that were infected and are effectively unusable. I replaced them with a new SSB, but want to know if there is a way to recover the unusable discs. Someone told me about a program called Kill Disc. Is it possible to recover these two SSBs installing them as second/third discs on my computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Are you able to access the disks at all? When you say they were unusable, exactly what was occurring?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got hammered by clicking somethign on line and then this stuff started downloading and demanding I pay money to correct some problem that I didn't have. I believe it is called extortion..... Anyway when I tried to shut them down, pulling the plug on the net connection, the computer became unresponsive. I tried to re-format, but was told that Windows was unable to reformat because of the way the discs were now configured. So I shut it down and when I tried to restart I was greeted with a black screen and a request for a password.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced the two discs in the machine and reloaded everything. Now I would like to get the other two discs back. They are less than a year old.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, it appears the drives may be encrypted and if so, that you will not undo.

But if it is just some malware that has locked the windows system, then the files themselves will still be accessible.

I advise to get this adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-SATA-5-25-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000YJBL78

then you can connect the drive to it and the other end to the USB port on your computer and it will be seen as a flash disk.

You can then access the file system directly via the working windows you have.

You will also be able to format the disk this way as its an external format so ignores the file system.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if that doesn't work?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

It will format, the only reason you would not be able to format the disk is if the disk has a hardware fault. No matter the software issue, formatting from external is always possible.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I may be a bit slow, but thinking your solution through, I see how it should work fine. If it doesn't you will be hearing from me again. Thanks. Will be back soon.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

No problem at all, I marked this question to never close

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you