Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My television, which I was using as a monitor, has stopped

Customer Question

My television, which I was using as a monitor, has stopped working. The HDMI cable is good, and the TV itself is working on all other inputs, including HDMI from a DVD player. I have played around with various fixes, but nothing works. I thought perhaps I may have inadvertently deleted a driver, or, if the HDMI port is hardwired directly to the motherboard, may be physically broken.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your computer? Is it a desktop or laptop?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

It is an ASUS laptop, model X53S. I am somewhat reluctant to do a remote support session. May we try to fix this by having me search the laptop first, before going to remote?

I'm sorry. With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/

Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you.. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.

- Have you tried the function keys Fn and the monitor key (it should be one of the keys F1 to F12 at the top) on the laptop's keyboard?

- For example, with the TV powered on and connected to the laptop, press at the same time the two keys Fn and F8 on the laptop's keyboard, does it do anything? (If needed, it could also be the keys fn and F5.)

- And/or press at the same time the two keys Windows and P on the keyboard, does it give you any option to select?

Please let me know your option. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,