Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I just down loaded windows 10 from windows 8.1 now my screen

Customer Question

i just down loaded windows 10 from windows 8.1 now my screen says i need to activite windows i do not have a product key number but it says i could use digital entitlement also i just had a new hrd drive installed in my computer is that my problem ? how do i activate my windows
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 months ago.

Hi, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today.

The reason you are not able to use the product key is because you installed a new hard drive.

I will try to help you resolve this, but first,

Name brand and model of your PC.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dell 8500xps

You are on the desktop model. I need you to look all over the tower/case of your pc.

There should be a sticker on it with bar codes. Do you see anything like that on the tower?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
7y52rw1 on sticker bar code

There should be one with 25 characters on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thats it with bar codes there is a service tag and a service code numbers

okay, we have a couple of options here.

First, we need to start here:

Follow these steps and let me know if it allowed you to have a key available for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
already been there back to needing a product key number going in a circle
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
dont know if this number will work found on book packing MX-02DR0G-15703-36D-M937-A00

Okay, you can get this for as little as 10$.

If you do this method, you will have to install windows 10 pro.

Or buy another product key for windows 7.

Last option is we can try a remote support and I can try to upgrade this for you through a remote offer.

If you do not wish to do this, just click reject on offer.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already spent 44 dollars to get to where i got on my own now u want to connect for 39 .00 how do i know if you can correct this ithought i was talkin to micro soft may be i should call dell who sold me the new hard drive . i dont like not talking to a person .

When you call Microsoft, they will tell you to purchase a product key or contact Dell.

When you contact Dell, they will tell you that since you replaced the hard drive, you invalidated

the Windows product key and to contact Microsoft.

We do not have to connect remotely or pay anymore than your original fee, it was an offer only.

However, you will have to get a windows 10 product key, or a valid windows 7/8 product key.

Or locate the product key on the tower itself.

These are your choices. If you prefer to talk to them and get back to me? I completely understand.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
had to go back to the origional windows . dell said it wasnt cause of new hard drive . the computer was not compaitable Fixed it my self dont know why i spent 44.00 what a rip off !

If the computer wasnt compatible, and Dell told you that it wouldn't work. I'm glad you got it resolved.

Heres the link for a refund. We do not rip clients off. We advise them the best we know how with information you provide

for us.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The info Issac gave you was correct.. What dell told you was incorrect.

Regardless of whether your computer is window s10 compatible or not.. The issue is the product key

If windows 7 says its validated and genuine.. Then when you upgrade to windows 10 now then windows 10 will also be genuine.

The problem before was, when you replacede the hard drive something must not have been entered correctly for your windows 7 product key.. So when you upgraded, it couldnt validate.

Keep in mind that if you have a working copy of windows 7 or 8.. windows 10 is free.. So if your current windows 7 is now genuine, then windows 10 will be genuine if you update.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.