Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

How do I get Windows 10 Pro to remain in Portrait mode when

Customer Question

How do I get Windows 10 Pro to remain in Portrait mode when I log off a tablet?
I have no problems with a "portrait" monitor connected to a desktop, but my tablets (ASUS EEE Slate EP121) always revert to landscape display when I Sign Off a Windows 10 session. Then I have to tilt the tablet to portrait view, login, then right mouse click the screen, select display settings, choose portrait for orientation, Apply the changes, close the Display settings, then the display is back in portrait mode. If I restart, or select Lock from the start menu, the system restarts in portrait mode or locks in portrait mode. However, if I sign off or switch users from the start menu, the display reverts back to portrait mode and I have to repeat the above process every time.
I did not have this problem when using the same ASUS tablets with a Windows 7 Pro OS. I have tried every combination of locking or unlocking the display both from the display settings and from buttons on the ASUS, and I have tried every combination of shutting down vs logging back in after each configuration change. Still no luck.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

This looks to be caused by auto rotation.

Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
Click System.
Click Display.
Scroll down and toggle Lock rotation of this display to OFF.

Then set it to Portrait and tell me if it stays please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Richard - I know what you want me to do, but did you know that you cannot set the orientation to Portrait (or anything else) while the "Lock rotation of this display" is set to OFF?

So here is what I did:

1. Kept the Lock rotation button to On.

2. Set the Orientation to Portrait

3. Clicked on Apply (if you skip this step then turn the Lock rotation of this display to OFF, it resets the orientation to Landscape). As soon as I clicked Apply, the monitor switched to Portrait orientation.

4. NOW I set the Lock rotation button to Off, and the monitor remained in Portrait orientation. (Clicking apply at this point in time has no effect as it is inactive until other changes are made in the Settings/Display window) Then I closed the Settings/Display window and the monitor remained in Portrait orientation.

Then I tested this configuration by clicking Start Lock and it displayed the Lock screen in Portrait orientation. I then entered a Ctrl/Alt/Delete and was taken to the Login screen, again in Portrait orientation. I logged in and was shown my desktop, again in Portrait orientation.

However, when I signed out, the monitor switched back to landscape orientation. I have tried this about a dozen times and it does not work. Got anything else?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

There is no external monitor connected correct?

And when did the problem start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Correct. There is no external monitor and the system is running only one, primary monitor. This is a tablet operating in an wireless environment.

The problem started yesterday, when I upgraded the OS from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, there are no drivers for windows 10, and no video ones for windows 8, so try to reinstall the windows 7 Chipset and video drivers from here

https://www.asus.com/Tablets/Eee_Slate_EP121/HelpDesk_Download/

Tell me if this corrects it please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

You want me to install those drivers and chipsets on top of the Windows 10 OS?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

yes please, only drivers available

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Your solution did not work. It took me several hours to download and install the Chipset and the video drivers for the tablet under consideration. I then realized that what I needed to do was to disable the sensor in the tablet through the Device Manager. I then needed to restore the tablet back to windows 7 and reinstall windows 10 to get where I wanted to be. Good service, but not so great advice. I will not be using Just Answer again.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, though why did it take several hours to do? We needed to go through and eliminate the causes for this...

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

unless you responded on the results, how is it possible to proceed towards a solution?

But the fact we turned off auto rotation and it still did not help means the sensor did not do this, windows 10 needed to be reinstalled and this is what did it.

Its a pity you feel this way about my advice James, but in honesty by not replying you did not allow me to complete my job, so I am not sure such a complaint is justified.