Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

HP laptop - sudddenly won't recognise the CD/DVD drive

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: - HP laptop - sudddenly won't recognise the CD/DVD drive (wanting to play '14 and '15 back issue dics!) Can I restore them?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Can't say exactly when, don't use often, but recently.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Looked at sites purporting to restore drives, but aall seem expensive yet untried or very technical advice involving registry changes, which I avid (incompetent)
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Can you tell me which version of windows is on the computer? Also how many discs have you tried in the drive?