Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Product Developer at Computer Science Corporation
94617175

I have an Asus laptop and the keyboard has stopped working

Customer Question

I have an Asus laptop and the keyboard has stopped working the onboard opne that is
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Asus? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: G752VY
JA: Huh?
Customer: is the model
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I have rebooted and updated drivers
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 5 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi

Have you started facing this issue after updating your system to windows 10 ? Since when you are facing this issue ?Have you installed any software recently?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only got the issue today - after my laptop had been shut down - I started it today and the issue occurred. The only thing I had done was to unplug and disconnect the laptop from the monitor etc
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but I turned it off before doing that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That was yesterday - then today when I start it - the keyboard is not working. And the USB keyboard I was using with it : also not working, I am using another one just now

Ok. Are you getting any warning or error message during startup or after startup ? What is happening when you are trying to type in notepad or to any other application? Are you getting beep sound after that ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
laptop was purchased with Windows 10 on it about a month ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I get nothing at all, no messages, no beeps - it just won't respond

Alright ! ,Got you. Give me sometime. I will get back to you as soon as possible with probable solution.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
typing into notepad was one of the tests I tried

Let’s try updating the driver for the mouse and keyboard and verify the results. Follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Device Manager.

b) Locate the Key board device icon. Right click on the driver icon.

c) Select Update driver software.

c) Select "browse my computer for a driver software".

d) Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

e) Select the driver option according your device model and installed.

f) If this does not work, follow the steps from ‘a’ to ‘c’ and select “Search automatically for the updated driver”.

g) Choose the same steps to update the driver for keyboard as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see 4 entries under keyboard device (all of which I already updated drivers on in the manner from your step f) - 3 called "HID Device" and one called PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 keyboard
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think the onboard keyboard is probably that last one
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried your steps for the last keyboard entry and it said the driver was up to date
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
same on step f for all the keyboard entries in device manager

Yes

After doing this restart your machine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok rebooting now

Try running your PC in safe mode with internet after restart . Are you able to go to BIOS mode by pressing esc button during startup ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok I will reboot int hat mode and update this thread from my ipad - one second
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't boot it in safe mode can't see how - I did press escape in start up and it asked me for a boot device
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've found instructions on how to boot in safe mode - and enter Windows recovery screens , will try now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok have rebooted in safe mode with networking
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's given me a big message saying 'this app can't open' get started can't be opened using the built in administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Note keyboard still not working when typing in note pad

Okay. Do you know how to restore computer ? IF so , Please create restore point and restore your computer to previous restore point (back dated restore point) this will confirm if the issue is with any of the software programs.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do know, I'll try that

check this out :- http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-enable-create-system-restore/

Also check if you have not enabled fast startup in your machine. If so you should uncheck it as of now .

open "Power Options"

- open "Choose what the power buttons do"

- click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

- uncheck "Turn on fast startup"

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK tyhe system restore failed for the same reason every restore I have tried on every machine I have used running Windows 10 (at least 2 machines including this one) - it claims anti virus is running and it couldn't access a file.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to do some work now I can't spend more time on this yet - I will try turning off the antivirus and doing system restore again - although from past experience it makes no difference
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but increasingly this looks like a hardware issue whcih means i will need to contact manufacturer

Yes, That's better option now. As your laptop is just one month old you will be able to get this done for free.

Please rate me with your valuable feedback and click on submit button.

It was great working with you . Have a great day ahead !

Thank you :)