Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.

I have been pleased with my Toshiba Laptop computer.

Customer Question

I have been pleased with my Toshiba Laptop computer. However, last week neither I nor my wife (the two users) could access the computer with our established passwords. The message kept reading "invalid password" so I finally took my computer to my computer tech to examine it. He said there is now a Bios Password ***** to open the computer and he couldn't determine it.
He asked if my wife or I installed a Bios Password ***** of course we did not and the laptop is at our home with only the two of us living there.
What do I do to be able to access my laptop again? Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing

I am sorry to hear your having so much trouble.

What you are describing, is almost like a poltergeist. Although we know thats not really possible, or atleast not proven.

But you could have gotten a virus, or malware, or worm, or trojan, or some type of nefarious software that enabled this setting.

To help you further, I would need to know your computers exact MAKE and MODEL numbers, or SERIAL numbers.

So i can find the proper way to RESET this computer BACK TO FACTORY.

There is NO WAY to figure out the password. You can ONLY reset it back to factory.

This is how the machine is engineered and designed to work, for security purposes.

On most modern BIOS systems, you can set a supervisor password, which simply restricts access to the BIOS utility itself, but allows Windows to load. A second option usually called Boot Up Password or something similar has to be enabled in order for you to see a message before the operating system loads.

It’s also worth noting that you may have to open up your computer in order to try and bypass a BIOS password ***** if you have a desktop, it’s usually a lot easier. Not only is it easier to open a desktop, finding the component that needs to be taken out is much easier also.

But before we get to opening the computer, lets try something:

Most BIOS manufacturers have a fail-safe that will show what is called a checksum of the password once you enter the incorrect password ***** than 3 times.

After the third time, you should get a message saying System Disabled (don’t worry about the system disabled message because it’s just a scare tactic), but it should also display a number, right below the System Disabled message.

That number is ***** CHECKSUM OF THE PASSWORD.

Write that number down.

Now you must use a different computer, and go to a website called and simply type in that number! It will give you back a set of passwords for different BIOS brands that match that checksum.

If the method i have described does not work, you might have to dissamble the laptop, until you can get to the motherboard, and make changes to some JUMPER PINS to reset the BIOS.

The only way to know this is to know your exact motherboard PART NUMBER. That may or may not be published by Toshiba, depends on the make and model number of your exact Toshiba Computer. Economy consumer laptop editions do not normally publish or release this information, it really just depends on the make/model.

Please take a moment to rate my performance. Ask any follow-up questions you like.

Thank you!