Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have a 1tb SSD. It has an image on it that is of my

Customer Question

I have a 1tb SSD. It has an image on it that is for one of my laptops. It has 945GB on M drive and 11.5GB on N drive. I do not need this image. I want to use this SSD in my desktop workstation as it's drive 0
I did not format the drive thinking that a 98%image would overwrite what it found. I used Casper free edition to make the image. The Casper instructions are very poor. It did say that the image was complete.
I tried to boot from the SSD and it said that it needed up to an nour to ffinish its task. I waited 3.5 hours and it never progressed.
I forced a shutdown and put the original drive 0 in as normal
1. Should I, when trying this for a second time format the SSD drive? The SSD is being identified as drive M with 95% of the available space and drive N listed as RECOVERY. How do I handle the N drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Are you able to connect the SSD to your desktop (or any other Windows machine) so that it can be prepped for use?

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

If the drive is already visible on a computer you can use Disk Management to delete the partitions

and format the full capacity of the drive. Would it be possible for me to connect to your machine

and do this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you could do that, but, let me tell you what I have done. I formatted, (the long way) both partitions on the ssd. Where should I go from there?

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

Am I correct in assuming that you want to use the drive with only a single partition?

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

From your computer, please click the link below (after reading this). On the new page, click the green I Agree button and the connection download will begin. When the file has downloaded (Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client) select Run or Open. If Windows asks, Allow changes to be made. When the file has loaded we should be connected.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=53aaf8bc-1eff-4735-a1a0-ced2903d090d

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

If you've got the drive formatted (NTFS), put it in your desktop

and boot from your Window installation disk and start the install.

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

How are things going, Len?

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

Hey Len. I'm starting to feel like the Maytag repair man here.

Do you still want some help with this or not?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, personal time consuming problems here. To continue:

My ultimate goal is to have the ssd to be an identical copy of the mechanical drive zero. Then replace the mechanical drive with the ssd hoping that ALL is completely identical, except for the speed gain. I now have the drive temporarily installed as my third physical drive. It is formatted as M and N. I will delete the N partition and then have one large M partition. There are many utilities out there that will duplicate my information. I am hoping that one will work. If it doesn;t then I simply will try another till it works.

What I am mainly looking for now Byron is to have you assist me in eliminating any potential pitfalls that I may have overlooked. If all seems OK the way I am planning it then your job here is done and I will rate 5 stars for sure. If you see something that we should chat about then I am IN for your most reasonable charge. I congratulate you for offering a $5. fee. That is most fair.

And again, sorry for the time lag on my part. It was unavoidable. Life happens.

Expert:  Byron replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Drive 0, in any computer, is the drive that contains the operating system. If you make an identical copy of your current Drive 0 to your SSD and replace the current drive with it, the SSD will then become Drive 0.

I've used Acronis True Image for years: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

to create identical copies (images) of hard drives. It has a free trial.

The way it works is like this:

You install True Image to your current boot drive. Launch the program and create a backup. In your situation you could store it on

the second installed drive in your PC (if you have the space) The image file is approximately 60% the size of the used space on the drive

you are making a copy of.

In the Utilities section of True Image you create a bootable copy (Rescue Media) of the program on either a blank CD or a flash drive.

You would then replace your current drive with the SSD, boot from the Rescue Media and restore the backup image that is stored

on your second drive to the SSD.

True Image is also on sale for $29 which is a lifetime license, no annual subscriptions.

I use it to make a backup image of my hard drive, stored to an external hard drive, once a week.

After it makes a third copy, I've set it to delete the oldest image such that I always have two current full images....just in case.

Give it a try.