Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My mothers computer dell optiplex 745 running win 7 is

Customer Question

My mothers computer dell optiplex 745 running win 7 is showing low disc space. Ive cleared alot of tempIE5 files but seems to keep filling back up super fast. Any help is appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Probably the most effective and efficient method I can use to help you is via a remote support session. Where i can connect temporarily to the windows 7 machine from here. And I can then run through and delete a lot of the behind the scenes files that are un-needed to free up some space. Also, we can then discuss any programs, or videos or other large impact files that we could remove to try and free up at least 30% of the hard drive.

Would you like me to connect directly to the machine and work on the issue, or do you prefer to have me try and guide you via written support alone?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

lets give this a shot written please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I have to go out for a bit, but will be back on later if you want to leave me a to-do list to check off.

Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

All right.. lets try some tools to help us out.

First, press the windows key on your keyboard, press R

Then type in %appdata%

In the appdata folder , go to the app data local folder.. And then right click and delete the Temp folder.

Once deleted, next follow this guide to use disk cleanup and have it remove ALL files it can

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/818-disk-cleanup-open-use.html

Then once that is done. Next, go to the videos folder.. Now, you want to delete as many videos as you can ( and empty the recylce bin )

next, go to the control panel and look for any programs you dont use. Uninstall them.

Between all those steps, That should get you down to at least 30% free space.. And thats a reasonable amount of space to keep the computer running normally.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ill try it, but any thoughts how to prevent this from coming back, or is mom really creating this much clutter?

Thanks!!

Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

She may just have a small hard drive.. Can you go to your my computer screen.. right click the hard drive and tell me the total space? ( when you can, I know you said you had to head out here soon )

D.S

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

65Gig, and over 20k items in that local temp folder but only 1.3G

system cleanup only freed me 2Gig

Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

65 Gig isnt a lot of space.. You may want to consider an external hard drive so you can move all the documents, pictures, videos, and other files to the external drive to free up space on the internal drive.

http://amzn.to/1YxfIBk

Now, as far as the internal drive.. Id check the downloads folder next.. ideally, you should be able to delete everything in the downloads folder.. Unless she was saving pictures or documents in the downloads folder.

Also, with 65 gigabytes and space being limited. We should go over her program list and remove what we can from there.

also, when you remove a program go to the %appdata% folder and remove the corresponding app data folder for the program.

T hen go to the C:\program files folder and remove the corresponding folder from program files as well.

And make sure to empty the the recycle bin.. also, if you go into your C:\ drive and see a windows.old folder, delete the whole folder.

Let me know what your free space looks like after those steps.

D.S