Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

I received a phone call stating that my Windows License and

Customer Question

I received a phone call stating that my Windows License and Microsoft security had expired. Caller was a female speaking USA-accented English (no discernible foreign sound or pattern.) Call occurred at 11:53 MST.
I was urged to call Microsoft immediately to correct the problem at a 1-844 number. My Caller ID showed the call originated from 1-***-***-****; no company ID displayed, only "Out of Area."
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

This is a scam; Microsoft makes no such calls.

Please ignore any further calls you may receive. You may also with to report this to:
IC3 (internet crime)
The Local FBI Office ( if you're in the US)

Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This is 100% a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never call you for no reason.

This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.

Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.

Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing.

Sometimes they lock people out of their systems and steal their credit cards as well.

Here is what Microsoft says on the subject:

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Give yourself a pat on the back for this one and questioning if it was legit. I have helped many others who have been taken in by this scam and once they let them on the computer it is too late and the damage is done.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You