Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer

The computer's OS is not operational. This is due to the

Customer Question

The computer's OS is not operational. This is due to the accidental uninstall of the Windows7. I been asked to view a couple of videos to provide a solution to my problem, but the poor quality and camera work of the videos made it next to impossible to formulate a solution.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As I asked the previous tech, Michelle, is this covered by my initial payment of $40.00? If not, both your time and mine are being wasted.
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 4 months ago.
If you and I work on the previous question and close this one, then yes, just the one charge should apply.JA does charge extra for phone and remote connections, but if you want to keep the cost down, we can work through here. It will take a bit longer, but will save you money. I am understanding that is important to you and I respect that! I am working on this site as an expert to earn extra money for toys so my wife doesn't get too upset at all the gadgets I buy, lol.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm disabled and retired, on social security. If I had realized the extent of the damage my wife did to her computer, I wouldn't have volunteered to work on the damn thing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Close the previous question.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm thoroughly confused with this entire process. You stated that we could proceed with a solution to a new question if gave the OK to close the old question. I gave my assent to close the old question, and then found that I had been charged $39.95 for additional help. I have not received a reply to my statement of assent to closing the old question. I have initiated a dispute with Paypal concerning the $39.95 transaction.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am going to bed, as it is 2:00 AM mdt and I am dazed, tired, and thoroughly wrung-out. I can be contacted after 10:00 AM MDT, Thursday, 16 June 2016.

Hi there, I apologize for any confusion. It was late for me also, I'm in CST. I took your last comments about being disabled and retired and the request to close a question that you were frustrated and didn't want to work with me any longer. Now based on your last two comments, I think you meant to communicate that you were just frustrated by the process and confused why you weren't getting help and wanted to get value for your money. I absolutely understand!

I'm totally willing to work with you, but I think we wires crossed. Let's get the housekeeping out of the way so you feel like you know what you are paying for. Then if you are happy and understand that part, we can work together and get your laptop fixed.

Your previous question was for a higher amount than this question. I first contacted you to try to help you since it looked like you were frustrated so I wanted both to help you and earn the fee that JA pays to the experts who answer questions on this site. When you opened this new question, since it was for the same issue but at a lower dollar amount, I wanted you to close this question since you should not have to pay for two questions for the same issue. Since walking you through the computer reset process is a somewhat lengthy (thought not very labor-intensive) process, I felt the previous question was a fair price for the work you would need to be satisfied with the results.

So if you want to work with me on the other question and close this one, that would be my preference. I don't get paid on that one until you rate me with a positive rating, so you are in control! I just joined JA as an expert, and I'm really enjoying helping people and making some extra pocket money doing it, so I really want to help you, but it's your call. Please respond on the other question and close this one if that sounds good to you. If you need help doing that, we can figure that out together too!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ben, I just got out of bed and am checking my mail. I see that you have sent me a chat message.The reason I woke up was a phone call from my daughter. She informed me that she will pick up the laptop and run it into the Geek Squad for repair on her dime. Thanks for the chat and advice.

Okay, sounds good! Glad you got a solution. I'm sure they can fix your problem - I worked at Geek Squad part time when I was in college, so I know what levels of service they offer. If you feel I've provided a good experience, I would greatly appreciate you rating my service. Also, if you rate me positive and have any follow up questions after you get the computer back from Geek Squad, I'd be happy to answer those for you.