Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Are you real? : I have a HP desktop computer : Windows..

Customer Question

Are you real?
JA: No. I'm the Computer Technician's Assistant.
Customer: I have a HP desktop computer
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Windows.. Just updated. The model is pavillion p6
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: The computer won't turn on
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who's been paired with you through It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I see that your computer is not turning on. Do you see any illuminated lights on the front or back of the computer at all?

Let's try completely unplugging your computer from power, leave it disconnected for one full minute, and then plug it back in and try to boot the computer. Any change?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, so the front power light isn't turning on at all. The back LED light turns solid green when I plug the power cord in, but the moment I try to click the power button, it turns of as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried disconnecting the computer multiple times, nothing works.

Got it! The problem you're describing indicates that there is an electrical short in one of the internal components, or that there is insufficient wattage to start the PC. Have you recently added any new hardware to the computer? That is, replaced the video card, for instance, or attached any new external USB devices?

If no new components or devices have been added, we're almost certainly looking at a short given the symptoms you describe. In almost all cases, this can be fixed by replacing your computer's power supply. The power supply is *not* an expensive component; I would recommend something like this Thermaltake 500W Power Supply which can be had for about $40.

There is a small chance that another component is causing the system to short out -- for instance, a motherboard capacitor has burst open -- but it's relatively rare. If you'd like to check, open your computer's case and visually inspect the internal components. The capacitors look like little "silos" sticking up from the parts; if any of these appear to have a brownish or rust-colored "goo" coming out the top (similar to when a battery leaks), then you'll have found the problem. This happened a lot a decade ago, but not so much now.

My recommendation is to try a new power supply first, as that is the most likely culprit -- and cheapest fix.

Hello again! It's been awhile since we chatted, so I wanted to check back with you and see if you had had the chance to try a new power supply in this computer and whether that resolved the problem for you?

I hope to hear back from you!