Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

I have a Lenovo horizon and the screen is doing all sorts of

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo horizon and the screen is doing all sorts of funky. I've completely reset my entire computer, and it's still doing it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

let me know the problem a bit more in detail.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cannot control my screen or my mouse for more than a second. I've restarted my computer and reset it to factory settings. Still no change
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

how old is the Tablet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a all in one desktop only a year or so
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

unplug the charger if its connected and then you press and hold down the power button on the tab for 45 seconds. Release the button and wait for 2 mins more and then power it back on and let me know once you are on the main screen.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On the home screen still doing the same thing.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

is it flickering, can you show me if you can post a picture of the screen on this chat session.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, it won't even turn on after holding the power button for 45 seconds
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Connect the charger and alow it to charger for 10 mins and then follow the 45 seconds steps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will. But I'm 99% sure it was at 100% when I shut it down. It's always plugged in
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Nevermind please give it a try and follow the step i gave.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No there's absolutely no power on. I have no idea what holding the power button did but it won't even blink now.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

How old is the device?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A year, and it's never had a problem.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

so its out of warranty correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Probably about a month over the warranty. Purchased it in May last year.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

We have no other option till the battery is removed and the tab is power cycled.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't believe there's any way to "take out the battery" this is a closed box computer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It looks like a very large ipad
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

This is an all in one pc and it does not have backup battery inside. We would need the memory (RAM) to be removed and reseat it back.

Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

i am attaching a link for reference how to remove the memory and reseat it back.

Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

before following the RAM steps lets shut the pc down completely. Power must be off as well. let me know once done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I never got the link to reset the ram.
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

Replacing a memory module

Attention: Turn off the computer and wait 3 to 5 minutes to let it cool down before removing the base cover.

To replace a memory module:

Step 1. Remove any media (disks, CDs, DVDs, or memory cards) from the drives, shut down the operating

system, and turn off the computer and all attached devices.

Step 2. Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets.

Step 3. Disconnect all cables attached to the computer. This includes power cords, input/output (I/O)

cables, and any other cables that are connected to the computer. Refer to "Left and right view"

and "Rear view" for help with locating the various connectors.

Step 4. Remove the rear cover. Refer to "Removing the rear cover".

Step 5. Remove the EMI cover. Refer to "Removing the EMI cover".

Step 6. Disconnect the battery cable from the connector on motherboard. Refer to "Replacing the battery".

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

Step 7. Push out the latches on both sides of the memory socket to release the memory module. Gently

pull the memory module upward to remove it from its socket.

Step 8. To install the new memory module:

a. Align the new memory module with the memory socket, then insert it and push down on

the top edge.

b. Make sure the latches lock the memory module in place.

c. Reconnect the battery cable to the connector on the motherboard.

Step 9. Reattach the EMI and rear cover.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see the instructions, but no link. "Refer to" won't help without it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No dice
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As of right now the advice I've gotten has cost me 2-4 weeks (geek squad won't open up the computer without sending it out) or just a new 1700 computer. Either way you should know.
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

did you open the computer and follow the steps?

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

let me know when you are online i will walk you through to get this fixed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I opened up the computer like instructed. Although it was very similar it was no the exact computer inside. I isn't feel comfortable physically dissecting it. Brought it to geek squad they said they will have it back in three weeks. I said no way and brought it to a local guy so I'll see what he says.
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 5 months ago.

Hi

Does the issue still persist ? What local guy has said to you after manual inspection.

Let me know if you need any further assistance on it from our side.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Computer still not fixed. Went from a glitch in my screen to a totally useless computer with this advice. I have no idea why, but with te advice I've received the computer won't even turn on. Won't be using his service again.
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 5 months ago.

Hey David! I'm so sorry you've had such a bad time with this. I see your question is a little old at this point, but you just posted here today expressing your frustration. If you are posting in an effort to get someone to help you get your computer back and running, I absolutely get that. If you are willing to give this another shot, I'm willing to help.

About me - I've been working with computer since I was a kid - my Dad got into computers when I was little and so I've had them around me my whole life. I have a degree in computer science and I'm currently working as a software developer. I've worked in customer service and technical support, including a small part-time job at Geek Squad. I've helped friends build computers and I love to play with technology. I do not claim to know everything, but I will promise to be honest with you as well as give your issue a good try. All of the experts here are independent professionals who give free advice to help people, and if we are successful in helping people, we are rewarded with a good rating that results in us getting payment for our services. In other words, we are paid, but only if the customer is happy with our service.

So to recap - I'm pretty sure if I can't solve your issue at least I can try to guide you in the right direction. I do want to set your expectations though - it may be the case that the issue will be something I can't solve - I will tell you that if it comes to that. It may also be true that the physical parts of your computer are causing an issue. Now sometimes that's an inexpensive fix and other times it will cost a good deal to repair and it becomes not worth it to fix since replacing technology sometimes is cheaper than repairing. Sad for the environment and kinda wasteful, but the true.

Anyway, just let me know if you want to work with me and I'll be happy to do so. I do have a full time job so I may not respond right away, but I try to get on here many times each day since I'm usually by a computer or on this website with my mobile phone.