Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience

My lenova flex3 is stuck in tablet mode and will not access

Customer Question

My lenova flex3 is stuck in tablet mode and will not access the Internet.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect that it cannot sense the presence of the keyboard, when you connect the keyboard to it.

Did it work properly, formerly?

What sort of internet does it not access, the WiFi internet kind, or the kind that comes through a cable?

(Have you tried it both ways? that's always a good thing to try briefly, if you have a network cable...)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It did work just fine before. I was using it in laptop mode when I accidentally hit the off button. After that, it only works in tablet, does not let me change settings. I was using wifi.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can you if it won't connect to the Internet?

IF you turned the computer Off, without letting it Shut Down, you may have damaged the operating system a little.

Doing a System Restore, to the immediately previous Restore Point, may set things to rights completely, from the corrupted WiFi drivers (I presume) to the corrupted configuration sensing and response driver (for tablet, vs. laptop/keyboard, modes.)

If you need some instructions on how to do a System Restore correctly, here is the procedure:

System Restore can be done by the following:

Go to

Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

and choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started, then do the restoring.

(Warning: it may help to first disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.)

The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful.

And hopefully that will cure the problem.

(PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no start, all programs etc. I have Windows 10. I tried searching for system tools and system restore under settings, but it couldn't find them.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh, I did purchase Microsoft office for this computer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?

I'm sorry - my connection had a problem, and I was offline for a bit.

OK: Seach, for

(RSTRUI in other or capital letters)

and execute it, to start System Restore.

When did you install MS Office? if since the last Restore Point (you'll see the date on the list of restore points), let me know and stop short there before proceeding.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It can't find it. I installed office a couple of months ago

You can't find... what? r s t r u i ?

Is Office still there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Found it. It is now going through the restore. The last restore date was just 3 days ago. Ok, it is completed, and now my regular desktop is showing, but it still only works in tablet mode and there is still no internet.

That's a shame.

Was the accidental shutdown over 3 days ago? I forgot to make sure whether or not that was the case.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, just about four hours ago.

Then I'm sorry - I'm not sure what's wrong, but did the tablet/laptop shut Off the instant you hit the On/Off button?

Perhaps that damaged the hardware. It would be a shame if it were so.

By the way, when the Restore completed, did it give a red message, after restarting? or did it complete without a restart?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No red message, and it completed with a restart.

I'm sorry to hear that!

It means, your computer may have a hardware problem. I wouldn't have thought the rough shutdown would cause such a thing, but the System Restore should have fixed it.

By the way, did you also turn Off your anti-virus ? that can be necessary... though if you hadn't, the red message would have come up, instead of a Successful Completion notice.

How old is your Flex 3 ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I got it in November or December 2015.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Found the receipt. I bought it February 6, 2016.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't currently have virus software.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just found out that Office doesn't work even though it is there.

Good. It is covered by warranty. I suggest that you put in a failed-within-warranty claim to Lenovo and have it repaired by them for free under warranty... it sounds as if it has enough problems to repair for sure, if MS Word is inoperative as well.