Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Pavilion x2 , was using it as normal , then it

Customer Question

I have a Pavilion x2 , was using it as normal , then it requested a password ***** next day ,but it will not except ,I am locked out from using . What can I do , if anything .
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Please attempt to force your computer off by holding in the power button until it shuts down. Wait 1 full minute, then power it back on. Does the BIOS update process continue looping, or does the computer boot into Windows?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What information might you need from me to connect.What is next from this end.

Hi Terry...if the computer is not booting into Windows, we won't be able to connect to it. Did the problem persist after powering the computer completely off and restarting it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
problem persist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible that the mother board received internal damage from shutting it down the I did.

No...your motherboard will not have been damaged from shutting off the PC.

Do you have a second PC available which you can use to create a bootable thumb drive?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My Laptop . I will have to be totally dependent on you , I am just learning on my own.

I'm happy to walk you through! First, we'll need your computer's serial number in order to ensure that we're updating your PC with the correct BIOS. You should be able to find this printed on a sticker which is adhered to the bottom of your computer. What is that serial #?

Alternatively, know the exact model of this computer would point us in the right direction. I know it is a Pavilion X2, but do you see a longer model # ***** anywhere?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
784415-001
49G-011BA01

Hmmm...I'm afraid that didn't pull up anything. Is that the PC serial #?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5CG44000ST
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Label adhered to back says serial # *****What is the total numbers / letters you are looking for or required I this serial .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to get back with you, have arise for work 0500 hrs.
only other # ***** ***** #K3N12UA//ABA
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.

If you closed the lid while the BIOS was updating, that could have cut off the power and corrupted the BIOS. Do you happen to have an external USB 3.5 inch floppy drive and a blank 3.5 diskette?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

this page will download a utility that will make a bios update boot device on a usb flash drive

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70261.exe

if the site blocks that scroll down this page till you see a link to download it with the instructions

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Pavilion-X2-HP-BIOS-Update-infinate-loop-envy/td-p/5027202

once you have created the flash drive put it in the problem machine and then turn that machine on. It should boot from the flash drive and update the bios which hopefully will fix the problem which seems fairly common on this model.