Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.

I changed nothing and when I turned the computer back on it

Customer Question

I changed nothing and when I turned the computer back on it now is asking for a start up password? Windows 10
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

At the Windows logon screen, do you see any email address listed for your user account? If so, could you let me know what that email address is?

Please reply back using the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no email address listed, this is not the Windows login screen but is looking for a start up password
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 months ago.

OK. Please do NOT accept any remote offer if it shows up on this screen; it's sent by the site, and not by me. I'll reply back to you below now.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Waiting for you
Expert:  B. Rath replied 4 months ago.

Oh, I see - it looks like you are referring to the BIOS password ***** for your system. In that case, you will need to physically disassemble the system to reset that password ***** Let me open up your question to our other experts who can assist further. Thank you.

Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 4 months ago.

Did you allow someone access to your computer before the issue started?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry to say, from techbot support

They have now put a password ***** your system, and they want you to pay them so that they can unlock it. The only way now to restore it, is if the registry hive is not deleted. This is going to be a bit complicated, so instead of me typing everything here i'll suggest you follow the steps here as it is more detailed. If you run into any issues whilst performing the steps, feel free to send me a message here so i can assist you with the steps.

Were you able to fix the issue? Looking forward to hear from you.