Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have moved my computer from bedroom to living room and my

Customer Question

I have moved my computer from bedroom to living room and my monitor is not getting a signal and is going to sleep. I hooked up a different monitor and it is not working either
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Windows 7, hp 110 desktop series
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: It was working fine when I had it in bedroom.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you press power, can you hear the fans inside the machine turn on? Do you see any lights blinking?

If you press the button on the cd drive does it blink and open showing it has power?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the power button cpu is on and sounds like it is running and cd drive opens
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Ok, Do you have a video card installed in the desktop tower?

or are you using the built in video on the motherboard?

And what type of cable connection goes from your monitor to the desktop.. VGA, HDMI, DVI, etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Built in video on motherboard as far as I know. Not sure on cable connection but when monitor is turned on it says dvi no signal, vga no signal, auto switch on, default source dvi. So I guess it us dvi
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry it us a vga cable. Just looked on back if cpu
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

You may need to open the machine and see if a video card was installed..

Also, it would be worth removing the ram chips and reinserting them.. They could have slipped or been bumped loose when you removed the machine.

Also, if your monitor has a remote or settings menu, its worth cycling through the input options to see if maybe the monitor is on the wrong input options.

If you look at this video at about the 2 minute mark, youll see a card going sideways, that has VGA and HDMI and DVI connections on the metal end. T hats a video card

Definitely check to see if you have one as the card may have slipped loose and needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no video card, nothing is loose in computer and I cannot get monitor on to see any settings. I think this is just useless and a waste of my money. I will go to best buy tomorrow and get the geek squad to fix it
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

What you see as a useless waste of time and money, is the same process of elimination that the geek squad is going to go through when you see them.

Im sorry things didnt work out for you during our session. The link below may be of interest to you.