Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

Can receive email, but cannot send. get 5.5.1 error, but

Customer Question

can receive email, but cannot send.
get 5.5.1 error, but have no idea how
to authenticate (two systems)seamonkey user for 5+ years - first problem
Browser: Opera
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That error relates to sending a username and password ***** the email account, to authenticate that you really are the owner of the email account and prove to the server that you have a right to use it to send emails... it's about sending username and password ***** the email account, when you use SMTP or send email.

So: either in your Seamonkey options for email, you have

- authentication (sending of username and password) Enabled for your 'Outgoing Server' options

or

- no authentication (sending of usernm. / passwd.) NOT enabled for 'Outgoing Server' options.

Either way, you may need it to be set the opposite way in your options.

Or... you have authentication enabled, but you have it enabled wrong, e.g. wrong username, misspelled username or password, that sort of thing. So if you have authentication enabled, you may not necessarily need to reverse that... check its details carefully first, and let me know about any detail you're not sure of.