Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

T510 with 4338 docking station with two external monitors. A

Customer Question

T510 with 4338 docking station with two external monitors. A fairly new problem. Laptop can lock up at any time. The mouse and keyboard are frozen. Only recourse is to hold down power button till laptop turns off. Can happen 1-3 times a day then be fine for a day or two. Right now I am not using the docking station. Have one monitor plugged into the T510. No issues of locking up with this combination after a week.
Any ideas what I can try?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

This issue can have one of three causes, it could be a bad windows update or other update, it could be an isue with your video card / driver. Or an issue with the dock itself.

if youd prefer, I can quickly connect to your computer from here and resolve the issue on screen in front of you.

Or, I can try and guide you via written support through the needed repairs, how would you prefer to proceed?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I like the written support.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Not a problem.. First things first.

What version of windows do you have installed on y our machine?

Windows 7, or windows 8 or 10 ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Win 7
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have an issue with you getting on my laptop and I don't mind paying to have the problem fixed. But I may not know for 2-3 days if the problem is actually fixed
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Thank you.

For now, we will proceed with written support. It will save you a bit of $$ and we can always go into remote support if needed.

Since you say the problem only began recently, lets try to turn back the clock with a system restore.

This is a great step because it wont erase y our files, emails or documents, and if we dont like the outcome we can undo it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/restore-system-files-and-settings

That link will show you how to complete the system restore.. Just make sure you choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issue started.

Once complete, send me a reply and let me know if the machine runs normally with two monitors.. Or if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, we will continue repairs as needed. Also, I realize that it may take some time before the issue starts again, so please dont feel like you have to get back to me right away. ( unless something goes wrong with the system restore or unless you immediately realize it didnt fix the issue )

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only restore option is 6/4/2916 and the problem started before that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even if I do a restore and both monitors work ( they are working fine at the moment) I won't know for s few days if the problem still exists
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

when you say thats the only restore point.. Did you click the box where it says " show more " or Show all / older restore points" ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Missed that. It goes back to May 2. But this problem started before that
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

If the issue started before that, the system restore probably wont help. Though Its still worth a shot, since we can undo it if needed.