Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

T510 with 4338 docking station with two external monitors. A

Customer Question

T510 with 4338 docking station with two external monitors. A fairly new problem. Laptop can lock up at any time. The mouse and keyboard are frozen. Only recourse is to hold down power button till laptop turns off. Can happen 1-3 times a day then be fine for a day or two. Right now I am not using the docking station. Have one monitor plugged into the T510. No issues of locking up with this combination after a week.
Any ideas what I can try?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

This issue can have one of three causes, it could be a bad windows update or other update, it could be an isue with your video card / driver. Or an issue with the dock itself.

if youd prefer, I can quickly connect to your computer from here and resolve the issue on screen in front of you.

Or, I can try and guide you via written support through the needed repairs, how would you prefer to proceed?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I like the written support.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Not a problem.. First things first.

What version of windows do you have installed on y our machine?

Windows 7, or windows 8 or 10 ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Win 7
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have an issue with you getting on my laptop and I don't mind paying to have the problem fixed. But I may not know for 2-3 days if the problem is actually fixed
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.

For now, we will proceed with written support. It will save you a bit of $$ and we can always go into remote support if needed.

Since you say the problem only began recently, lets try to turn back the clock with a system restore.

This is a great step because it wont erase y our files, emails or documents, and if we dont like the outcome we can undo it.

That link will show you how to complete the system restore.. Just make sure you choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issue started.

Once complete, send me a reply and let me know if the machine runs normally with two monitors.. Or if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, we will continue repairs as needed. Also, I realize that it may take some time before the issue starts again, so please dont feel like you have to get back to me right away. ( unless something goes wrong with the system restore or unless you immediately realize it didnt fix the issue )

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only restore option is 6/4/2916 and the problem started before that
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
even if I do a restore and both monitors work ( they are working fine at the moment) I won't know for s few days if the problem still exists
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

when you say thats the only restore point.. Did you click the box where it says " show more " or Show all / older restore points" ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Missed that. It goes back to May 2. But this problem started before that
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

If the issue started before that, the system restore probably wont help. Though Its still worth a shot, since we can undo it if needed.