Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.

I have a Gateway Dx-4860. Intel Core i5-2320, 3.GHz. It has

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Gateway Dx-4860. Intel Core i5-2320, 3.GHz. It has 8 Gb Memory, 64 Bit Ops.
Win 10 has been installed. The other day I went to boot the system and the monitor told me 'no signal'. I also had a constant clicking sound plus the on board alarm was buzzing. I have never had a problem with computer before. Can you help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 4 months ago.

Hello Robert, and thank you for choosing

Its hard to know EXACTLY what the issue is.....but from what you are describing, it sounds like a hardware failure.

Most likely the Mobo......but it could be the RAM or CPU as well.

A failed HDD woudl say NO BOOT DEVICE, and a failed power wouldnt get anythign at all, most likely.

Did you have to remove any components when you replaced the battery?

The problem might be that you are using Windows 10, and your machine is locked up.

Your Gateway is NOT listed as a supported model that is eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade

See the image:

Only 2 models are listed and the DX4860 is NOT one of those.

Its quite possible a driver was envoked, and caused a freeze, or even a drive malfunction....its hard to say.

But, you shoudl see if you can BOOT from a different a DVD disc.

Using a different computer, make a BOOT CD, and see if the problem lies in the hard drive system files.

But honestly, this sounds more like a hardware failure than anythign else, and you need to have the componenets individually checked.

You are now facing the reality that is: taking this computer into a shop for diagnosis.