comp_audio
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.
44312836

Have an ASUS M51AC Series desktop with Windows 8.1 64bit OS.

Customer Question

Have an ASUS M51AC Series desktop with Windows 8.1 64bit OS. Currently having issues with the sound. There is a loud hum in the sound. I can hear the sound from the L and R speakers, but if I turn the sound up loud enough to hear it well there is an uncomfortable hum in the audio. I thought the speakers were at fault and purchased new computer speakers and subwoofer, but that didn't solve the problem. I tried to check the drivers and everything I've done says that I have the latest drivers and that they are working and that the sound system is working OK.
Does this sound like my sound board has gone bad?
Category: Computer
Expert:  comp_audio replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to answer your question today.

It is possible that the sound board is bad, however I would like to know if you have a set of ear buds or a headset to test with? I am guessing yoru newly purchased and old speakers are ones that you plug in to an outlet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will get my earplugs and plug them in.

Great, thanks. Just let me know if the hum is present when using your headphones.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The loud hum is in my Bose headphones also. I suspect that the sound board is the problem. Do you have enough information to affirm that is the case. If so can I order a new sound board and replace it myself?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would agree to let you connect to my computer if you think that might help to resolve the problem. I am currently on a Mac pro laptop however.

That might be an option, but first lets get some more information. Please tell me the model number and serial number off your pc so that I can lookup some information regarding the hardware.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
AS MS 1AC B07
AS MS 1AC 1A
SN DCPDCG0008L5
I don't know if those are the model # ***** the computer It is an ASUS M51 AC series desktop.

Okay, thanks. It appears you have a Realtek Audio board in your pc. Can you tell me the driver version you have currently installed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't currently have that information and it will probably take all afternoon via texting. I have to go, but I would like to come back on the other computer later and let you connect to it. Can you give me a reference # ***** that I can reconnect later on the other computer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it would be a lot faster if you can connect to the computer and drive it yourself.

No worries, I understand. I will go ahead and send you an "Offer Premium Services" in the next message. Once that is completed I will send another message with a link to allow me to remote in. Thanks

It came back as a "payment failure", would you like me to send another request and try again?

One thing you can also try is to hook up an external monitor. I found a few people have had this happen only to find that they somehow changed the display to an external monitor. Once they hooked up an external monitor they were able to make the settings to return it to the screen they wanted.

Sorry, that was for another question. My apologies.