Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Crtl+Tab stopped working. I've researched the daylights

Customer Question

My Crtl+Tab stopped working. I've researched the daylights out of it & can't find the solution. No new software, no system changes, Win7, IE11. It's making me mental as I used that a LOT. The one to resolve this gets a fat tip. Thanks! Scott (PS. I'm asking now, but won't be able to respond until tomorrow, so give it a good look-see)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 6 months ago.

Did you recently install a windows update or updated a driver?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I allow all Windows updates to happen, but no new software or driver updates were done by myself.

Can you check and see if nvidia is installed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That's the 1st thing I found to look for online. Like I said, I'm pretty IT literate & have been at this for 2 weeks now trying to find an answer. I've done all of the online stuff, nothing. I think I may have hit some crazy combination of keys on my keyboard that screwed it all up. I'm just not sure. I need that functionality....

So you have already tried updating/uninstall nvidia? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No, I do NOT have Nvidia on my computer. Never have.

Well, it just looks like something was recently updated or installed which caused this. Can you go to Programs & Features, sort the programs by date and see what was installed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I have numerous programs, that I've had for years, that get updated regularly.

what date did the issue start from?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Maybe a month ago, maybe longer.

Hold the Windows Key and Press R. Type rstrui.exe and Click OK. Click show more restore points and send me a screen shot of the available restore points.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That does nothing but type an "r" here.

You need to type rstrui.exe in the run dialog.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

My system restore only goes back 7 days......???? 5/26 is the earliest date it shows. What the heck...

May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot this issue by my self?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok....I'm in the middle of working right now, but as long as it won't interfere with what I'm doing, sure. If you want to call & chat at the same time, that's cool too. (###) ###-####/p>

If i connect remotely, and start troubleshooting the issue then you will not be able to work. We can do this when you're done working.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That's not what I meant....ok, lets do this. I'll close the programs I was working in.

I sent request for remote service. Please accept it then follow steps here to connect with me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Wait, is this another $39, on top of the $40? That's almost $80

Yes, remote service is an additional service on this site.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yeah, I'm not paying $80 for this. I get the feeling that you have no idea what the issue is, and are just doing things I've already done. I'll pass.

No worries. I will opt out and open the question to other experts who may have different ideas then me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relist: Other.
He did not have any idea what to do, & was just doing support 101 stuff that I'd already done, then he tried to jack me for another $39 to get into my system. Psh.....no chance.
Expert:  comp_audio replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will do my best to assist you today. Can you tell me if you have anything such as a key mapper, or utility for laptops to enable the fn keys installed? Other programs such as "StickyKeys" is an example.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Negative. I've never loaded or used any such programs.

Are you working on a laptop or desktop?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Laptop. Dell Inspiron N5110. No other issues noted but this one. I tend to think I maybe hit some bizarre combo of keys & did it. Just a guess...

That is possible. Thinking it might have something to do with your FN key. Try this quick...

1. Click "Start", type "Windows Mobility Center" and press enter.
2. In the Windows Mobility Center window, please locate "Function Key Behavior".
3. Click drop down arrow next to "Function Key Behavior" and then select "Function key"

Let em know...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It was set to that, but I selected it again to be sure. Multimedia was the other option.

Did either of those settings help with your issue?

I have seen it were choosing the multimedia had worked too. Try them both and let me know.

Also, in Windows 7 it has I think built in Sticky keys. Here is where you can go to look at these custom settings...

Make the keyboard easier to use

Windows 7

You can use your keyboard to control the mouse and make it easier to type certain key combinations.

You can adjust these settings on the Make the keyboard easier to use page in the Ease of Access Center.

1. Open the Make the keyboard easier to use page by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Ease of Access, clicking Ease of Access Center, and then clicking Make the keyboard easier to use.

2. Select the options that you want to use:

• Turn on Mouse Keys. This option sets Mouse Keys to run when you log on to Windows. Instead of using the mouse, you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard or the numeric keypad to move the pointer.

• Turn on Sticky Keys. This option sets Sticky Keys to run when you log on to Windows. Instead of having to press three keys at once (such as when you must press the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys together to log on to Windows), you can use one key by turning on Sticky Keys and adjusting the settings. This way, you can press a modifier key and have it remain active until another key is pressed.

• Turn on Toggle Keys. This option sets Toggle Keys to run when you log on to Windows. Toggle Keys can play an alert each time you press the Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock keys. These alerts can help prevent the frustration of inadvertently pressing a key and not realizing it.

• Turn on Filter Keys. This option sets Filter Keys to run when you log on to Windows. You can set Windows to ignore keystrokes that occur in rapid succession, or keystrokes that are held down for several seconds unintentionally.

• Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys. This option makes keyboard access in dialog boxes easier by highlighting access keys for the controls in them. For more information about keyboard shortcuts, see Keyboard shortcuts.

• Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen. This option prevents windows from automatically resizing and docking along the sides of your screen when you move them there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yeah, been there, checked that. No joy. I don't see my last response here, but my Crtl+Tab just moves forward thru tabs, instead of toggling between 2 pages only. Ugh.......

Do you mean Alt + Tab? That is what I use to switch between two different apps or pages.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No, Crtl+Tab used to toggle between a page, and the last used page. I could go back & forth between the 2, cutting/copying & pasting. Then all of a sudden, it stopped, and will only advance to the next open tab. I usually have 7-9 tabs open at any given time. Alt+Tab just bounces me between a tab & the desktop.

Okay. Well in all my years I have not seen this happen. In most all Windows versions, The default settings are Alt + Tab is the shortcut key to go to a open app and another open app or tab etc and back to the previous one. Ctrl + Tab has always been the default to go from one tab to the next forward and nothing else. If seems yours is doing this completely opposite, which tells me that at some point something was changed the default settings. Of course your the one who has been using your pc, and knows for sure, but I can tell you for certain the default settings are as I stated above.

If it were me I would try...

1. Reset all keyboard settings to default.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-keyboard-settings#1TC=windows-7 or http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-keyboard-settings-default-windows or https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/zainnab/2010/08/05/keyboard-shortcuts-reset-all-your-shortcuts/

2. Something else you can test is to connect an external keyboard and see if the issue still persists. If your already using an external keyboard try another one.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hmmmmmmmm....none of those links fit me. I tried, but I could not follow the directions on any of them. Are they for different versions of windows? I have no "Language" option in Control Panel, and I have no "Tools" option in Control Panel, and the other link wanted me to download Silverlight just to watch a video clip. And I've used Crtl+Tab to toggle between the same 2 open windows/tabs, for almost 18 years. Alt+Tab just bounces me from an open tab to the desktop, or any non-tab based page I have open, like a Win7 Help Page, or the Control Panel. It still works.

Let me check a little more and if I cannot be of further help I am afraid I will have to opt out. Be right back...

The tools is located in your Windows Control Panel

Or it should be there anyways. If not, I wonder, do you have some slimmed down version of windows?

There is an app out there called AutoHotKey that might be able to help you get it back the way you want it too.

There is one last effort I would like to suggest, and this is a long shot, but it worked for me years ago...

The solution might be a KEYBOARD/MOUSE input reset.

To perform this action you must have at least 6 fingers.

OK You need to push all of these buttons at the same time.

Left hand(LEFTCTRL+LEFTALT+LEFTSHIFT) + Right hand(RIGHTCTRL+LEFTALT+LEFTSHIFT)

Push them all 6 at the same time to perform a Keyboard/mouse reset.

I learned this back in the DOS days when Basic would lock up or your code messes up the inputs.

Let me know if any of this helped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I'll give it a shot. Also, I have the same issue on the laptop keyboard, and the external wireless keyboard.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Tried the 6-finger Monty, nothing. The screen flashed, but nothing changed. And I have WIn7 Home Premium, and there is no "Tools" in my control panel. It goes "System", "Taskbar", Troubleshooting" "User Acct's"...no "Tools".

Alright, well I thank you for trying these out, and am very sorry I was not able to answer your questions today. I will opt out and allow another expert a chance to assist you further. Before I go is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I guess not. This is crazy....something so simple has everyone stumped, including me. Thanks for trying.

You bet, good luck.

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will try to help with this issue. Please try the following:

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows / websites for now.
  2. Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
  3. Open Network and Internet / Internet Options.
  4. Then click on Delete and delete only temporary internet files.
  5. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  6. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  7. Click on Close.
  8. Then open Internet Explorer, and click OK.
  9. Then open a some times, then try Ctrl + Tab keys in Internet Explorer program and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hmmm....that's a bit drastic, don't you think? I make my living in this thing, and it's set up perfectly (except for my Crtl+Tab not working right).

I'm sorry; we need to refresh Internet Explorer program; it does not affect your favorites / data. What were the settings you adjusted in Internet Options previously?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks! You completely screwed me!! Now nothing works the way it should. If you don't know what you're doing, don't guess with someone else's system. And oh by the way....the problem is NOT fixed.

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

It seems you have had three technicians try to fix this.

Im willing to connect to your computer without any additional charges, to try and fix this issue. If Im unsuccessful, you will be entitled to a full refund.

Would you like to try a secure remote session so I can personally take a shot at fixing this issue directly?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That sounds great, but I'm kinda' jammed up here trying to re-sort out my system. I'd be glad to hit you up on that later tomorrow though if can.

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Later tomorrow works for me.

And if needed, I can help you try and undo the jam / damage caused to your system from any previous repairs when we connect.

If you can, try to let me know an hour or two ahead of time when you want to connect tomorrow.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

You around?

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Im Here.. If your ready to get started, please run this command first..

And then once you reboot I will send you the connection steps.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in msconfig and press enter.

on the very top tab,on the right section, click on startup, then on the bottom click disable all..

then click apply, then click ok.. Now.. restart the computer..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yeah, one of the other guys wanted me to do that. Windows Key + R = Nothing happens. Now I can go thru the "Start" button and do it that way. It'll take a few to go down & come all the way back. I'll let you know.

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Understood.. When you boot back up, let me know and I will send the connection steps

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Aiite....ready.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok, been waiting a while here.....haven't heard anything yet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

9:00 PM here....anyone there? Been 40 minutes now, please advise..

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Apologies for the delay.. The last session I was in took a turn for the worse.. But Ive fixed the issue finally and Im free for our session.

To start the connection, please click this link

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=f61a3c4b-a318-411a-abdf-22d4ae8ca096

On the next page, scroll down and click the agree button.. It should then ask you to save or run the elsinore screen connect file. Run it, and then when it asks you to allow it, do so. That will connect us.

If you get stuck completing the above steps try them again, and if you still cant connect send a reply and let me know what web browser you are using, so I can give you specific steps on how to connect.

Dustin S