Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Why is my laptop saying "plugged in but not charging". My

Customer Question

Why is my laptop saying "plugged in but not charging". My battery is down to 76%. Do I need a new battery or is the one I have not good. I just bought this HP Z Book 17G2 in February 2016. The battery should be still good. Please advise.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

it could be the battery it could be the charger it could be the outlet its plugged into.

it could even be the laptop is hot and the heat is throwing off its sensor

first make sure that you are using the correct charger if you have more than one in the house. Just because it fits the slot doesnt mean it will work correctly with a different laptop than it came with

try removing the battery and plugging the charger it. if it boots up and works than the issue is with the battery. Luckily if it is the battery it should still be under warrantee from hp.