Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Windows 10 was downloaded without my requesting it, as far

Customer Question

Windows 10 was downloaded without my requesting it, as far as I know. Every time a window popped up offering to download Windows 10, I closed it by clicking the X in its corner. I did NOT intend to download W10, but one morning there it was: "Welcome to Windows 10." The only available click was NEXT, which opened a page offering the choice of "Accept" or "Decline." I chose "Decline" and was given a black screen on which the message "Restoring previous version" appeared. After about 20 minutes Windows 7 appeared, and everything seemed to work EXCEPT WINDOWS LIVE MAIL! There, my mailboxes and contacts have disappeared or become inaccessible. I can no longer use Live Mail. What happened, and how can I recover the lost data and features?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hi Charles! I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. This particular issue with Windows Live Mail is fairly widespread in cases where users have downgraded back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, but remains unacknowledged by Microsoft. As such, there is no supported "fix" -- but that doesn't mean we can't try!

So, we need to cross our fingers here and hope to find your old mailboxes and contacts in a previous version of your store folder...and, from there, we'll try to restore them:

1. In Windows Live Mail, press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Maintenance and then Store folder.
  3. Copy the path shown into the start search box and press Enter.
  4. Right-click on the folder and select Restore previous versions.
  5. If you can locate a previous version of your store folder that predates the folders' going missing,Open it and then locate the ones that are missing.
  6. Copy the folders into a temporary folder on your desktop.
  7. Use the File > Import messages function (Alt-F I) in Windows Live Mail to import the temporary folder.

The biggest potential pitfall here is at step #4...it is possible that there are no previous versions saved of the Store folder, and in that case we'd be up against a wall. However, please do try the above first, and kindly let me know the results!

Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 8 months ago.

Hi Charles! It's been a little while since we chatted, so I wanted to check back and see if you had had success reverting back to Windows 7?

Thanks...I hope to hear back from you!