Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

I have inherited a lenova thinkpad. Unfortunately do not

Customer Question

I have inherited a lenova thinkpad. Unfortunately do not know much about it. I did not charge or switch on over the weekend, consequently have been trying to charge up over past 2 days, however does not respond. Would I possibly need a new battery?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a computer expert who's been paired with you through I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

It may well be that the battery is depleted, so let's test that out first. Go ahead and remove the battery, and then plug the laptop's power cable in. Try to boot the computer using the power cable only. If the problem is the battery, this configuration bypasses it and should allow the system to boot (if the system *still* doesn't boot, it would mean we're looking at a different problem; the battery might still be bad, but isn't the showstopper).

Please give that a try when you can and let me know how it goes!

Hi Pat! It's been a bit since we last chatted, so I wanted to check back in and see if you were able to boot the computer with the battery removed and only the AC adapter installed?

I look forward to hearing back from you!