Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

A ip sec/lp2t vpn can be set up natively w/windows 7. This

Customer Question

A ip sec/lp2t vpn can be set up natively w/windows 7. This vpn is 256 encryption,
which is more secure than the 128 that is used w a pptp vpn.
In order to do the ip sec/lp2t vpn you must post a machine cerificate in a certain
store. I think this is one of those certificates that are in with all of those certificates
on your computer , or that you can just make your own if I remember correctly.
The thing I wasn't able to quite figure out is exactly where they wanted me to put
the certificate. Would getting a vpn router make this process easier cos they have
them pretty cheap although some of them are from 2002.
For normal home computing stuff do you think the pptp vpn is suffecient cos that can be
set up very quickly and easlily which is why I don't think of it as being much good perhaps. Thank You in advance :)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 11 months ago.

Where are you getting this certificate from? You don't need one to setup a L2TP VPN.

If your firewall is capable of a L2TP VPN, I would use this as PPTP is not really secure anymore.

Expert:  Cody replied 11 months ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.