Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

P/n 31720100R MDHDU S/N JTAJ0B948 My drive is used

Customer Question

p/n 31720100R
MDHDU
S/N JTAJ0B948
My drive is used externally on a USB port.
On boot up, this drive takes about a minute and a half longer to "come on line" than does all the rest of the Windows PX (using Windows XP). When I go to My computer, it shows that the drive is operating and I can read/write to it normally.
Then the blue light stays on for a half hour or so and suddenly goes off.
I have checked the voltage on the transformer, it stays on all the time, even when the blue light goes off. I have changed USB ports from one port and hub to another. The peculiar going off line happens regularly.
When I say it goes off or is slow coming on, I am writing about My Computer indication about the drive. It disappears from the listing after a half hour or so. Once, I tapped the drive and it seemed to come back up. What's the best thing to do here? Buy a new drive and make a quick copy from the old to the new while the old can still be used or is it something else I should check first.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 7 months ago.

Hello Irwin, and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

Your HDD (hard disk drive) your describing sounds like it is begining to fail.

Some HDD's dont fail at once....they slowly begin to fail....showing symptoms of irregularity and slowness initially....and thats the begining of the END.

.

You need to QUICKLY retrieve any data you can, on that drive, and replace it ASAP, BEFORE it becomes a paperweight.

.

Some drives will become LOUD, and click....or GRIND.....some will spew smoke.....some will WHINE.....and some just STOP all of a sudden.

These are all warning signs of the impending DOOM which is your data becoming forever TRAPPED.

.

Best thing to do here is to COPY the data to your PC drive.....your C: drive (on a sepertae HDD obviously)

.

Then replace the HDD, and copy back the data.

.

DO NOT use a cloning software for this.....as a failing drive can cause serious issues with the clone process.

.

Please take a moment to Rate my performance.

Thank you and Happy Memorial Day

Hello out there......would you kindly make a rating please.

I want to have all OPEN requests to be closed or completed by end of month. The end of the month happens to be in 8 hours from Now.

.

Thank you!