Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

Currently using Windows XP and encountering problems. Would

Customer Question

Currently using Windows XP and encountering problems. Would like to upgrade, perhaps to Windows 7. How do I do this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 4 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

If you want to upgrade your system to Windows 7, you will need to back up your data first and then carry out a FRESH installation using a Windows 7 installation disk. You may order the disk online from Amazon, using the following link:

Having gotten the installation disk, follow the given steps to install Windows 7:

1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disk, and then shut down your computer.
  2. Restart your computer.

3. Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear. (If you not prompted to press any key to boot from DVD, just restart and tap down the F12 key to boot from your CD/DVD drive accordingly.)

4. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

7. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

8. Click the partition that you want to install Windows 7 in (C:), click the formatting option you want to perform (Quick Format), and then follow the instructions.

9. When you've finished formatting, click Next.

10. Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

After you have installed Windows 7, you will also be able to upgrade to Windows 10 (the latest version) for FREE, if your system supports it - you will be automatically prompted by Windows to upgrade, after you have installed Windows 7.

If you need any further assistance with this issue, please be sure to reply back using the box below.
And, if you could kindly click on (and submit) one of the star buttons at the top of this page to rate my service, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 4 months ago.

You may get back to this page (and directions) anytime later on, through your emails received from JustAnswer. If you have any questions/concerns, please let me know; otherwise, kindly do not forget to submit a rating at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll be credited for assisting you today. Thanks!