Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I can't remember my password my Dell Dimension Workstation.

Customer Question

I can't remember my password ***** my my Dell Dimension Workstation. I tried to run in in Safe mode and log in as administrator but my keyboard won't work in safe mode. Please help
JA: A password ***** huh? It happens to all of us! Fortunately, the wizards we work with know tech inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with one right away. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is an old workstation running on xp
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any password ***** the Administrator account, because by default there is no password ***** that account, you have to start windows in safemode and then click on Administrator to login .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that but my keyboard will not work in safemode
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

You have to use your mouse to click on Administrator, if it asking for password ***** you click it then, it must have a password, did you tried to click with your mouse ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get to administrator, because the keyboard won't work
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you mean you cannot select Safemode to start windows, as your keyboard is not working, right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get into safemode but can't type administrator in username
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, when you start windows normally, can you type there in the login box ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, can you tell me, what is the password ***** are using to login to windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get pass the log in cause I don't remember the password
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, do you get a login box in normal mode or the just see the username and the password ***** with it ?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Can you check the image from the link below and let me know, if you get a screen like that in normal mode ?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bfIdG-QW_nI/VnE0dxr7AkI/AAAAAAAADic/Pr_lUqkDaWo/s1600/15.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get as far as the log in no further
need to recover the password
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Log On to WindowsNo I get
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Use name:
Password:
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Try the below steps in normal mode.

Delete the present username and type Administrator and then press enter, let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that looking for password
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Then, it will be hard to reset the password. Please restart the PC and this time start windows in Safemode with command prompt, instead of Safemode then, let me know if you get the command prompt window or not ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it looks like the same window and keyboard wont work
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a working CD or DVD drive ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Do you have another PC from where you can burn a disc with which you can reset the password, because this is the last way to reset the password, otherwise you have to remove the hard drive and then backup the data and reinstall windows.