Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Just bought an asus k501u with 258 ssd. i want to boot from

Customer Question

just bought an asus k501u with 258 ssd. i want to boot from a hdd instead. i installed one into the hdd slot and need to configurebios to boot from hdd instead of ssd. don't know how to configure path for boot option.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Asus? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: ssd came with win10
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no hdd with k501u, just ssd
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Follow these steps to tell the machine to restart and launch into the UEFI firmware settings module.

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008329/

Or, shut the machine down, start it and immediately press and hold the F2 key to get into the bios.

Once inside, go to the boot section and change it so it boots from the HDD before the SSD. That should do the t rick!

If you get stuck or have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Dustin, here is the link to a similar problem. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3032215/enable-hdd-bios.html. In his case, the problem was re-enabling the original HDD after adding an SSD. In my case, I want to "add" an HDD to a laptop that originally came with an SSD. The last statement is where I am confused as there was no resolution that I saw.
Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.

Im aware of the issue. This is something Ive dealt with and personally carried out, many times before.

The only hurdle is almost every model of any manufacturers computer has slightly different bios revisions or even completely different bios versions altogether.

Did you try to complete the steps I mentioned? If so, and if you got lost maybe we should speak over the phone so we can go over the menus in real time.

Let me know if youd like to try phone support.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dustin, I followed the link you provided and it was generic. The reason I provided the model of the Asus computer was so that you could help me with this particular model. The second answer you provided should have been in the first response: "...The only hurdle is almost every model of any manufacturers computer has slightly different bios revisions or even completely different bios versions altogether." This is the problem I experienced with the Asus-- I had never seen this particular BIOS setup. Your answer only motivated me to look elsewhere, especially since you are charging me for every response whether it is helpful or not. Then you offer to help me one-on-one, or over the phone, or by connecting directly to my computer-- another way to up the charges on my bill?!?! Really, this was of no help save the motivation it gave me to search other places. I expect not to be charged for this generic support.