Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am not able to access an old yahoo account. It is linked

Customer Question

I am not able to access an old yahoo account. It is linked to a couple of my devices and I need to delete. When I try to do myself it takes me to cell phone text or one other option to confirm it is me, but my cell is deactivated because of all of this. Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

The cell phone that is linked to the account, do you still have access to it? Or how long ago did you lose access?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I still have the iPhone but it was deactivated Wednesday
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

io, what is the yahoo address for the account with the problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is what identified this issue when I visited the apple stor
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

what is the yahoo address for the account with the problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** the number you do not have access to anymore correct?

(8**) ***- 79

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Try to call the number, does any one pick up? As it may already have been re-assigned.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Call what number? My cell was deactivated
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to delete the yahoo email that my phone is linked to
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

yes, but the number may already have been allocated out to someone else, so if you call it you can see, then explain to them the situation and asked if they can communicate a code texted to it.

Nothing can be done to the account until you get access again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is still my number
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My family members have called and they are directed to voicemail immediately
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Ok, then it has not been allocated out, this is what I needed to know.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Yahoo being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Yahoo states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year yahoo has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not yahoo, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know my password
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

If you know your password, then you would be able to sign into the account Lynn

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sign it and I get an unusual activity message that asks me to confirm via text or email to my phone, which I can not get into
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

You wont be able to get in but as you have no access to the phone, so no way to actually verify yourself sorry, its why before deactivating any phones or anything related to your accounts, you first update your accounts with new information in the event this occurs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Seriously, how can I go about delinking my iPad and iPhone from this email account?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I could get into my phone I could confirm my identity
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

You want to remove the Yahoo mail account on the iPad and iPhone?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
somehow iCloud is creating the issue also
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, on the devices go to Settings, Mail, press on the Yahoo account and press delete account

this will remove it from the device

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this has been tried at the Apple Store, and they told me that I would have to contact yahoo to delete email account. Now yahoo is telling me There is no way for me to confirm my identity so I can delete the account. How do I gain access back on my devices??
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

I provided the instructions to remove the account from the devices,

on the devices go to Settings, Mail, press on the Yahoo account and press delete account

this will remove it from the device

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not if I can't get into the phone Richard
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is this unusual activity message that comes up when I try to access the yahoo account
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

so now the problem is you cannot access your phone?

Please understand, you came here with the problem of not being able to access your yahoo account

What is now the issue we are dealing with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All of the above, as I have been communicating. My phone was deactivated, I went to the Apple Store to get it activated. It is linked to this yahoo email acct which I need to delete. Tried to access email to delete and I can not confirm my identity in the process because of the linkage to my cell phone. Who at yahoo can I work with to find another way to confirm my identity?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To allow me to delete acct, and what is the unusual activity message that takes me to this extra step
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

I have decided to stop working with you Lynn and will opt out.

You do not need to do anything, you will be notified when a new expert takes over your case.

Thank you and all the best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Richard, any email sent needs to be sent to***@******.***
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Or I will not be able to access
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also home phone is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.

what you MAY be able to do is port the number of the old phone to your new phone. It depends on whether the old account is still active even though the phone is turned off.

To do that you need to go to your new phone provider and ask them to port your old number. You will need to give them the old phone number and the old account number at the old phone company and the password ***** that account.

if you do that your new phone will have the old phone number and you can answer the security texts.