Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Lenovo Z50 has 2 problems. 1)I work a lot with Excel and

Customer Question

My Lenovo Z50 has 2 problems.
1)I work a lot with Excel and at least 5 times a day Excel suddenly restarts losing data.
This has been going on for a number of months and I have tried many suggestions for web forums.
2) For the last few weeks the laptop turns off (does not close down) and then restarts.
For both of these I cannot see any patterns when they happen making diagnostics very difficult.
Any ideas
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you press the windows key + X and click on command Prompt (admin)A black window will open.Type in itsfc /scannowpress enter and when it has completed, type inchkdsk /rPress enter.It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.Then tell me please if you still get the issue Dave.