Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I downloaded my entire outlook email file onto a USB drive

Customer Question

I downloaded my entire outlook email file onto a USB drive as I am leaving my place of employment. Now I cannot get it to open even when I have Outlook open. "You can only open this file in Outlook" is the message I get.
JA: USB issue, huh? Fortunately, the wizards we work with know tech inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with one right away. Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: It is a very large file.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I figure out what type of Windows it is? I'm at work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. How long ago was it that this problem began to occur?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Windows 7....Just now trying to do this....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also tried on a co-workers computer so it isn' t a computer issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The file has 12,000+ emails on it....Outlook 2013
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The icon appears when I open the USB drive but then I cannot open the email file.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. In outlook 2013, Have you tried importing the file this way? I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.At the top of your Outlook 2013 or 2016 ribbon, choose File.Choose Open & Export > Import/Export. This starts the wizard. Choose Import from another program or file, and then click Next. Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.Browse to the .pst file you want to import. Under Options, choose how you want to deal with emails and contacts, then choose Next. If a password ***** assigned to the Outlook Data File (.pst), enter the password, and then click OK.If you're importing the contents of your .pst file into your Office 365 mailbox, choose that mailbox here.If you're NOT importing into your Office 365 mailbox, choose Import items into the current folder. This imports the data into the folder currently selected. Choose Finish. Outlook starts importing the contents of your .pst file immediately. It's finished when the progress box goes away.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have Office 365, but I do have gmail and Google Drive.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want the data OFF of this computer - so where will it go if it's in a folder?
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Heres the issue.. If you are trying to export your data from the outlook program. Im assuming you exported a PST data file, and thats what you are trying to open. You cannot import a pst file directly into gmail .. if you want your data off that computer, after you exported the PST file. You would then delete your pst file, and delete your outlook profile. That will eradicate your emails and contacts, etc. Can you clarify how exactly you exported the file in question, with your email data on it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
File; import/export; Next; Outlook to Data File; clicked on my full email account as to grab everything - all folders; next; named it; put in USB; selected browse; selected the USB icon on the left side; finished; opened up the USB to see the Outlook file but cannot open it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Seemed to work really well except I cannot open the thing - says "Outlook Data Files must be opened within Outlook"
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Understood. Only outlook can open a PST file.. ( easily anyways ) If you wanted, I could connect to your computer and install a trial of outlook 2016. So that you could open the file .. Once open, if you use a gmail IMAP or other IMAP account, we could funnel all your messages into the IMAP server. But with thousands of messages, it takes time to manually upload them this way.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we have Outlook 2013 and I put the emails on the USB from there and now I cannot open them in Outlook 2013?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why do I need Outlook 2016 to open this?
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Outlook can open an outlook PST file. When i sent you the link on how to open it, you said you didnt have Outlook.. And mentioned g mail and dropbox. If you look ov er this link again, theres a very specific way you need to open and import the pst file into outlook At the top of your Outlook 2013 or 2016 ribbon, choose File.Choose Open & Export > Import/Export. This starts the wizard. Choose Import from another program or file, and then click Next. Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.Browse to the .pst file you want to import. Under Options, choose how you want to deal with emails and contacts, then choose Next. If a password ***** assigned to the Outlook Data File (.pst), enter the password, and then click OK.If you're importing the contents of your .pst file into your Office 365 mailbox, choose that mailbox here.If you're NOT importing into your Office 365 mailbox, choose Import items into the current folder. This imports the data into the folder currently selected. Choose Finish. Outlook starts importing the contents of your .pst file immediately. It's finished when the progress box goes away.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that the only way I will be able to ever open the emails from the USB? By having Outlook 2016?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if it says my server cannot handle it and I need to use a shared server? My co-worker had this happen.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Outlook 2013 or 2016 will work. At the top of your Outlook 2013 or 2016 ribbon, choose File.Choose Open & Export > Import/Export. This starts the wizard. Choose Import from another program or file, and then click Next. Choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.Browse to the .pst file you want to import. Under Options, choose how you want to deal with emails and contacts, then choose Next. If a password ***** assigned to the Outlook Data File (.pst), enter the password, and then click OK.If you're importing the contents of your .pst file into your Office 365 mailbox, choose that mailbox here.If you're NOT importing into your Office 365 mailbox, choose Import items into the current folder. This imports the data into the folder currently selected. Choose Finish. Outlook starts importing the contents of your .pst file immediately. It's finished when the progress box goes away.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
running into trouble on #5.....what pst file do I want? The one that auto pops up will not be accepted.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Where did you export the pst file to? The USB drive? Then on step 5 you want to browse to the location of the PST file you exported, and select it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay - I did that....So - now what? Where is my stuff? What's the result? Sorry for my lack of skills, here.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Not a problem. In outlook, you should have a section showing now called personal folders. You may even have two personal folders listed on the left hand side. One of those will contain the entire email list you just imported.. Can you locate it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not finding it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Did it show the import dialogue when you imported the file?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have to leave. How can we continue?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please email me how to continue this *****@******.***
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
We can continue tomorrow, all you have to do is open your email. Look for one of the messages from justanswer that say you have received a reply or an answer. And then open that email, and inside it click where it says view reply or view answer on just answer. That will bring you back to this page. Dustin S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm back and ready to work on this again....
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Good afternoon. Would it be possible to have me temporarily connect to the computer that you are trying to import the data onto.. That way I can oversee the process and make sure everything goes smoothly?