Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

Lenovo S1 Thinkpad Yoga wont detect SSD

Customer Question

Lenovo S1 Thinkpad Yoga wont detect SSD
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Is this a brand new drive thatwas installed in the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the drive is the original drive that came with the laptop. I took it out to use in a desktop, but now that I am trying to put it back in the laptop it won't recognize it.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What was done to the drive after it was removed from the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugged into the desktop.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But when the drive was in the desktop, were any changes made to it. Was anything on the drive changed.I'm sure that if the drive was stuffed in a desktop and you tried to boot from it things went crazy.What was the drive used for when it was in the desktop? I'm trying to understand what happened to the drive.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
What messages are you getting on the laptop screen when you turn it on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put the drive in the desktop it booted fine. I put the drive and a new, larger drive into the desktop to try to create an image of the original one. After the image file was created I removed it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
quot;2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)Press ESC to continue."
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I'll open this up to the rest of the experts. I'm not sure what happened to the drive.
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you now.Earlier, you mentioned "When I put the drive in the desktop it booted fine." Does that mean the desktop booted from the SSD drive that was in the laptop, or that the desktop booted normally, recognized the presence of a new drive and you were able to see and open folders and files from the SSD drive? Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Booted from the SSD that was in the laptop. I took out the drive that was in the desktop.
The first time you placed the SSD in the desktop, did it boot up normally or were there all sorts of new device / driver installations before it would work in the desktop?Also, what operating system was on the SSD when placed in the desktop? How long did you have the SSD in the desktop? During that time were there any updates made to the desktop operating system?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it installed drivers for the graphics card, but that's the only one I can remember. But it booted up normally and installed the drivers as I was on it.Windows 10 is on the SSD.It was in the desktop for a couple of hours.When I shut down the laptop before taking out the SSD it installed some updates. I can't remember if it installed updates when it was in the desktop, but I am thinking that it did install some when I started it up.
Does the laptop BIOS recognize that the SSD drive is in the system? Does the error come during the loading of the BIOS, or after the BIOS completes and the Operating system begins to load?I am concerned that, somehow, encryption of the drive has occurred in the desktop. In that case, the laptop won't be able to read it. If you can put the SSD back in to the desktop and boot to it, we can check that out. Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The laptop does not recognize it, and I can't find it in the bios. The error comes up a few seconds after launch, even if I open the bios it goes over it, but when I hit escape I can access the bios.I can put the drive in the desktop.
Try it, verify you can boot up to it in the desktop. Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It booted fine.
Here is a link in the Levono forums which describes the same error and gives a solution. Maybe this will help. I am providing it here:https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/2100-Detection-error-on-HDD0-Main-HDD/td-p/1588494 Gary
This is Gary from JustAnswer. Just checking in to see how it is going with the SSD issue.