Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I lost my favorites list and would like to replace it with a

Customer Question

I lost my favorites list and would like to replace it with a similar one.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I am an AOL customer. I have microsoft software ( #10, I think) and a Dell Flat screen desktop comnputer.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I don't know where to find the model number. There is a sticker on the front of it which says "Intel inside pentium"
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: All of a sudden today my machine was not operating properly and then I had some company appear on the screen which said that I should have them "clean " the computer to from it from, I suppose viruses"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. That was likely a fake popup message; a scam. What did that company do?Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think they trouble shooted it this afternoon. They said that I should not use the computer for at least 6 hours while they cleaned it.
Do you know which company that is? What is the name?How did that company contact you? Did they just pop up on your computer's screen?What's your computer doing now, if anything?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not really. My first question was how can I reestablish my AOL favorites list. Other than that my computer seems to be OK now.
Did that company wipe out all your data / files?
Usually, with any popup windows or any email message or any phone call that you do not know or that are not expecting is usually a scam.Do you use the AOL Desktop program?Or do you go to the aol.com website to use your aol account?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,