Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

When I start my toshiba laptop it goes straight to a blue

Customer Question

When I start my toshiba laptop it goes straight to a blue screen with a box wanting a password. I don't know or have a password. I've tried everything I can think of. It's an older computer and has been put away for a few years just decided to get it out couldn't remember what was wrong. Please help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Does the laptop show any Windows version (XP, Vista, 7 or 8 or 10) when turning it on?Do you remember if someone had set a password ***** this laptop previously?Can you please check at the back / bottom of your Toshiba laptop for the model of it, such as l305-s5955, or c655-s5132, etc.?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe it's vista. It's probably at least 6 yrs old
No, I'm the only owner of the computer
Model PSLC8U 03G01U
Thank you. Do you also see another model, such as L305D-S5928?So when you turn on the laptop, right away, within a few seconds, it shows the password ***** right?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is right yes that is the correct model
Thank you. That is the BIOS password. To remove this password, you would remove a small cover at the back of the laptop, then short the jumper called B500 (or XXX). Please click on the website below for video instructions:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPdsF0HjkYPlease reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I do that it will clear the password ***** what will it do?
After you do that, it will clear the password, i.e., it won't show that blue password ***** any more. Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just tried that and it's still showing
Sorry. Were you able to see the jumper? - Make sure you did have one RAM memory stick inserted in the lower socket while shorting the jumper / turning on the laptop.- Please try again. If you are stuck at any step in the video, please let me know.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPdsF0HjkYThank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK the video said to take both out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure what one was in first does it matter
Sorry, the video forgot to mention about inserting one RAM memory stick back first, but in the video, it does show one memory stick is already installed while shorting / turning on. It does not matter which RAM memory stick you put in; just put in the lower socket.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPdsF0HjkYPlease let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It started sparking but still sa me thing. It does go to the Toshiba screen first and says f2 and f12 but when I've tried hitting them it goes straight to password *****
With the hard disk drive and battery removed, and with one RAM memory stick inserted, you connect the power cord to the laptop, then keep shorting the jumper while turning on the laptop, then the Toshiba logo should appear on the screen, then it will disappear, then wait a few seconds more, then release the jumper. Then does the laptop's screen show "No bootable device. Insert boot disk and press Enter key to continue."?- Are you using a paperclip, or screwdriver or Ethernet/network cable to short the jumper?Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was using a paperclip but the guy in video said might not work so then I used a safety pin just cut ends off of it. No I wasn't holding it on that long. I'll try that now. I'm in the middle of fixing supper so it's taking me bit longer m sorry for that
No problem. Please take your time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it supposed to get hot and spark? Or I am I using the wrong thing?
What kind of safety pin are you using? Do you have a flat screwdriver? And/or do you have an extra Ethernet / network (CAT5) cable?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just Just a normal safety pin
Yes I have a screw Driver no not the cable tho
I don't think the safety pin would work. Can you place a flat screwdriver (not a star screwdriver) touching only the two jumper pins while turning on the laptop and check? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried with a screw Driver just like u said until the Toshiba screen went off and still going to password ***** It was saying a battery failure but f1 to continue or f2 for setup either one I hit still went to password.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.
The toshibas are almost impossible to reset the bios password ***** have to take it to a toshiba AUTHORIZED repair center they can remove it. It usually costs about 50 bucks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I saw it done on that u tube video link haha there isn't anything else I can try
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have recovery disks if that helps and another computer
nope none of that will help. the bios password ***** before anything to do with windows so the recovery disks wont work. You can try doing what they did on the youtube video but i thought you had already tried that and it did not work. Nobody really checks youtube videos for accuracy. some of them are wonderful and some are just pure bull.