Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

About 30 minutes ago I received a telephone call from(###)

Customer Question

About 30 minutes ago I received a telephone call from(###) ###-#### ***** heavily accented foreign man claiming to be calling from Microsoft. He said he was calling from Arizona, but my cellphone indicated that his call came from New Jersey. He stated that my computer was loading viruses whenever I turn it on. He directed me into a process in which many error and warning events were listed, and then to a website that would allow him to get into my computer. When I insisted that he provide further proof of his identity he provided my computer ID number and then guided me into where that number was listed in my computer. I was still uncomfortable and declined to allow him to enter my computer. He hung up.
My question is: Was he an authentic Microsoft technician, working for Microsoft? If he was who he claimed to be, and my computer does need corrections, what action should I now take.
Please advise.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. No, this is not legitimate. You did the right thing.This is a common scam, where they try to get you to give them access to your computer, which they then take over and hold hostage until you pay them to return it to you and remove their malicious software. Hang up on them and ignore this type of call. No one from microsoft would ever contact you directly, and they do not monitor your activities or even provide free support of this type. Best regards,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?