Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I am trying to sign a pdf and it won't allow me to. A

Customer Question

hi. i am trying to sign a pdf and it won't allow me to. A windows cryptographic service provider error comes up. Key does not exist.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: windows 9 I think
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: sony vaio
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome.Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.Would you like me to fix the problem remotely for you?Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No please just tell me how to fix it. I am running windows 7 and did not have this problem until today.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
The problem can be for different reasons - have you installed any new software or ran any updates recently?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
If you go to Edit > PreferencesSelect Signatures and click on More (at the top)What's your Default Signing Method set to?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Adobe default security. It is the only one available.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Signing format: PKCS#7 Detached
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
How about my question on whether you ran any updates or installed any new software?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i did not
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
Check your system restore points and see if Windows ran any updates recently - if you say it was working before then an update must have caused the problem, and we can revert that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.