Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Want to connect through remote desktop to my office computer

Customer Question

want to connect through remote desktop to my office computer that has sonicwall
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi there Jacob and welcomeAre you stuck on setting this up at any area? Or you do not know how to do this at all and need instructions on this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it worked before. it is set up.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, what IP address are you using to connect?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what do you mean by what ip address?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
to clarify my office computer is on a network.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
The address you enter in Remote desktop to connect to this desktop
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to connect from my laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok.. but I still need the IP address from you The address you enter in Remote desktop to connect to this desktop
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
50.48.7.149:33131
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
are you at the location where the remote desktop is now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, on that computer go to www.whatsmyip.comWhat IP does it give you? I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It would really help if I can talk to you is there such an option?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
It is better if I connect to the remote desktop myself I can then fix this directly.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Since it is my first time I don't feel that you understand my situation that I should spend another $49
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
I understand the situation, you are trying to connect from your Laptop to the remote desktop computer and it is not working.Correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
as I indicated it was optional else please do the instructions I gave you, repeated below on the desktop computer go to www.whatsmyip.comWhat IP does it give you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when I go to whatsmyip I don't see anything. when I go to canyouseeme.org I get 50.48.7.149
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, you also specified a port, did you specifically change Remote Desktop to connect on port 33131?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In my office I have a network of four computers and I have sonicwall. I am trying to log in from my laptop to my computer which is on the network. ( sorry but I am trying to explain myself the best I can)
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
I know what you want to do, but you said it was all working before, so I am asking you, did you specifically change Remote Desktop to connect on port 33131?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
What is the local IP of the Desktop computer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
192.168.1.131
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, from one of the other 4 computers there on the same network try to connect using192.168.1.131:33131Does it connect?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok give me two minutes
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NO
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Try connecting on just192.168.1.131
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it did
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, so the port is 3389On the sonicwall make a incoming rule for port 3389 and direct it to 192.168.1.131Once done, it will work outside the network using just address50.48.7.149Without the :33131Let me know how you go please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think the reason it was set up the other way is because I wanted to be able to log in even if the the computer is not logged in to internet. Does that make sense to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No, as port has nothing to do with that, it has to have internet else you cannot sign on to it, this is a necessary requirement, but its no set up on that port anyway, its on the default
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you log in will you be able to better understand why it was done that way?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
The only way it was done like that was because another computer you needed access to was using it, but we see this is not the case.I can log in if you wish, but nothing would change this and there is no reason to have it on this port, plus it is not on this port.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
your welcomeBut once the rule is set in the Sonicwall it will then work again, as we have confirmed the correct portIf you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I now remember last time I had the same problem it was the router that caused it.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, for this its the port, else it would connect locally.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit Thank you