Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Dell Inspiron 5720...I turn it on, the windows page

Customer Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 5720...I turn it on, the windows page with the circle going round turns, then I get to a page to enter my password ***** it won't let me. It automatically types in a continuous line of lower case ttttttttttttttttttttttttt.... letters.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you plug the keyboard into a different usb port on the computer and tell me if you still have the issue please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The keyboard is part of the laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok, the Inspiron is either a desktop or a Laptop.Can you power it off, power it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.Choose Advance Boot Options, then Last Known Good Configuration.Once done, try to then sign in and tell me if it now allows you please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that & it didn't work I'll try again
did it again and same thing
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you go back to the menu and then choose Safe Mode Command PromptThis will take you to a black screen where you can typeCan you type there correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get to a menu. I won't let me sign in to a page that allows me to do anything !!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you do not need to sign in to get to the menu.You said before you did my instructions, which including getting to the menu.Are you now saying this was incorrect and you did not do my last instructions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to sign into my account & where it asks for the password ***** doensn't allow me to type any letter. It types ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt for me
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, I see this as your initial description Nikki....I gave you a set of instructions to do, you replied that you did them when in face you did not.I will again repeat, can I ask you take the time to read the messages I am sending to youCan you power it off, power it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.Choose Advance Boot Options, then Last Known Good Configuration.Once done, try to then sign in and tell me if it now allows you please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I guess we're misunderstanding each other. I turn the laptop on and tap the F8 and it does NOT take me to the menu screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your tapping F8 continuously until you either get to the menu or it goes to the sign in page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tapping the F8 doesn't do anything other than take me to the sign in page
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an external keyboard available? One that plugs into the USB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do. I'll go get it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...it's a cordless
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but should be ok, connect the adapter in the USB, wait 5 minutes then try to sign inLet me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's wireless. I'll have to find a keyboard...if I can
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but should be ok, connect the adapter in the USB, wait 5 minutes then try to sign in
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeIs it for both sending and receiving emails you have the problem?And with which email service is it connecting to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the email that I can't sign into, it's logging on to my account on the laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a lost cause
I guess I'm not making myself clear
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The system posted this message by mistake, it was not for you, please ignore it and do the instructions I gave you before (repeated below)connect the wireless keyboard adapter in the USB, wait 5 minutes then try to sign inLet me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your clear I am just waiting on your still to do this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't locate a keyboard that's not wireless
There's no adapter
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The wireless keyboard would have an adapter that it uses, you lost this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess so
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are you able to obtain a wired USB keyboard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if F8 is not working, then you wont be able to proceed further here, you will need to take it into a computer store.It will either be a software issue or the keyboard has faulted.The store will connect a keyboard to the computer and perform the initial instructions I tried to get you to do.If it works then the issue was software and the laptop will work again.else they would need to replace either the t key if this is faulting or the keyboard depending on the hardware issue with it.