Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming

The program known as Lime Pro is a file sharing software that

Customer Question

The program known as Lime Pro is a file sharing software that allows its users to make files (audio, videos) that were previously downloaded to their computers available for other users to access/download them from that computer. My question is very simple: is it possible for other users ( with other computers surfing the web who also have this software installed) to still have access to such files even when the program (Lime Pro) is not in use by the computer's owner, that is to say, if that program is closed and the computer is being used in another application or program at the moment?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
Hello Customer and welcome.If the program is not running, it may be running a background service which would give them access to the shared files.You could have a look at the services.msc applet and see if it's running, or load it via msconfigIf you're not too sure what I'm referring to I can connect remotely and show you so we make sure nobody has access to your files.Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
For how long can this program can run this background service, can it be for example, 5 or 6 hours, during which those files could have been accessed although as I said, the program itself was not being actively used?. This is a past event, something that already happened and now I know that besides what you mentioned, the program has some tools to prevent other users to access your files if you do not want them to do that, but what I'm trying to determine here is how probable ( or improbable) is that someone had downloaded files stored within this program during a period of approximately 6 hours given the fact that the program was not actively running during that time, just because perhaps it was "conducting a background service"?. Furthermore, is there a way to determine if that program was active during that period of time ( I know this is a hard one) on that specific date?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
It's improbable that someone accessed your personal files as you would have had to share them manually which I doubt you did.There is a way to find out that info through the Application event log, it would tell you when it ran and whether there were any errors at the time. It won't tell you whether someone transferred files from it or not.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The files that were purportedly uploaded from this program in my computer during that 6 hours period of time ( without me being aware of it) were just some files that I had previously download through the "file sharing" feature at a previous date, not personal sensitive information (fortunately), but as I said, the program was not being used by me ( or anyone else) during that time, I just wanted to assess the probability that this really happened given that fact.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
From your description, it is improbable anyone accessed your information as it is a file sharing program - it's not a remote assistance program where someone connecting to you wants to do something specific.Bit Torrent programs also access shared files but their access is so limited they can't touch any of your files, whether it's running or not - the application selects it and they run under en encrypted connection so I wouldn't worry too much about it.Simply uninstall the program if you haven't already and you should be fine.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you could take a moment to click on one of the green stars at the top to rate me for my time, it would be greatly appreciated!Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** probably follow your advice.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.
You are most welcome.If you could take a moment to rate me for my time using the green stars above it would be greatly appreciated!Kind Regards,Martin